Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing credit card due dates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changing credit card due dates

I did this. Next statement didn't cut for like 6 weeks which was frustrating because I paid the card off after I requested the changed due date and the old balance was on CRs for over a month before it updated.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

But it didn't affect my score and won't be an issue if you have no balance.
Message 12 of 14
Suddenlyy
New Contributor

it will NOT shorten your current or next billing cycle period. if anything, it will extend it by 1, or 2 weeks or so.

source: i have 10 credit cards, ive changed them all to be due on same date, and most of them extended the CURRENT bill cycle by 1-2 weeks. never did it shorten one.

edit:the due date itself, or changing the due date doesnt have any direct impact on your credit scores. however, changing the due date, DOES change the date the statement prints out (becuase the statement will print out 3-5ish days after the due date) - which may impact your score, since whatever balance prints on the statement is what gets reported on your credit report

Message 13 of 14
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone called their CC company and requested a change to their CC due date?

I want to have all my CCs due at the end of the month instead or having them all over the calendar.

How's does that affect the billing since some cards may go for up to 6 weeks without a statement?  Will this affect my scores? Smiley Indifferent

Different banks handle it differently.

For some, e.g. Discover, Cap One etc. a change in due date also means a change in statement date. The bank generally won't make a change in your current statement due date, and then the next statement date will be whichever date you have specified. That might mean upto 1 month longer statement cycle. They may or may not do a mid-cycle reporting. Discover and Cap One didn't. 

For AMEX (as it happened with me) a change in due date didn't automatically mean a change in statement date. When the due date changed, no change in billing cycle happened. But when I spoke to the CSR again to make change to the billing cycle (so that there is no more than 3 days difference between due date and next statement date) the bill skipped a month.

Barclays (SMMC) was a bit more awkward. They generated the next bill (changed cycle) before the current statement's due date. I was uncertain how my payments would be treated. The CSR through message said since I initiated the change, I must make required payments before the new statement gets generated, which was before the due date.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.