cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to a credit card with REWARDS!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing to a credit card with REWARDS!!

I am changing my Bank of America visa credit card to another one that has more rewards and cashback but I was told but the customer service representative that to do so, he has to close the old credit account and open a new one which will have a new no. that is eligible for rewards.

Will that affect my credit score by any chance??

Please help!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Changing to a credit card with REWARDS!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I am changing my Bank of America visa credit card to another one that has more rewards and cashback but I was told but the customer service representative that to do so, he has to close the old credit account and open a new one which will have a new no. that is eligible for rewards.

Please help!

I don't have a BoA card, so I can't help with certain specifics, but... what are your scores??  EQ & TU FICO's, that is?

It is possible they may have to close one acct & open another.  If that is the case, why not leave the one open & get a rewards card from either BoA or better yet, somewhere else.  It will be better to have another open TL rather than swapping one for another.  Might be better to get a card from another bank.  If BoA decides to cut your limit, they can only do it to one card rather than 2!

Maybe join a CU & get their card....that's what many here have done with some nice results!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Top! Welcome aboard! Smiley Happy

Top wrote:

Please help!

Every time I've product changed, AND everytime (two times so far) BoA has had to reissue a 'compromised' card, I've been issued a new card number. The new cards have retained my full account history. Product changes have in no way impacted my credit reports. The 'compromised' cards, are listed as "lost or stolen' in my credit reports.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this with cap one.  It is the same card only with rewards.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply but I do not really wanna open another credit card with another bank or CU at this time since I do not want that to affect my credit score.

Thanks a lot.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks LilMirth for your warm welcome and advice Smiley Happy

So I guess I can go ahead and change the card to a one that has rewards with it without worrying about my credit score being affected, right?

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I did this with cap one.  It is the same card only with rewards.

So did they have to change your card no.?

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top wrote:

So I guess I can go ahead and change the card to a one that has rewards with it without worrying about my credit score being affected, right?

What I'd suggest is using one of the backdoor numbers (stickied at the top of this forum) for BoA, getting a credit analyst, and asking for your product change. Make sure to indicate that you're not applying for additional credit, but that you just want to change products, retaining the current account history. They should fully understand your request.

My reason for suggesting this is that I've requested product changes with the 1st line customer support, and (at times) they truly seemed clueless to what I was asking, and it *seemed* to me that that they thought I wanted to apply for a new card/new tradeline altogether. The credit analysts don't seem to have those barriers to understanding, LOL!

Otherwise, I'd say not to worry! BoA issues a new card number with product changes, but IME the account history has always been retained under one tradeline.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What I'd suggest is using one of the backdoor numbers (stickied at the top of this forum) for BoA, getting a credit analyst, and asking for your product change. Make sure to indicate that you're not applying for additional credit, but that you just want to change products, retaining the current account history. They should fully understand your request.

My reason for suggesting this is that I've requested product changes with the 1st line customer support, and (at times) they truly seemed clueless to what I was asking, and it *seemed* to me that that they thought I wanted to apply for a new card/new tradeline altogether. The credit analysts don't seem to have those barriers to understanding, LOL!

Otherwise, I'd say not to worry! BoA issues a new card number with product changes, but IME the account history has always been retained under one tradeline.

Thanks a lot for your great advice. I actually called a credit analyst who was very knowledgeable and told me that the account no. will definitely need to be changed but that will never affect my credit score. 

Thanks again for your great help, I appreciate it.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem with Patelco. When I applied they gave me the card with a $5000 max limit and no rewards. I tried to at least get it converted into a rewards card but was told that the new card would open with a fresh history so I sent my card to the sock drawer for a looooong vacation.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.