Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Cards

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Charge Cards

I guess im a little confused on why people have them? Like i know you need to PIF every month on them, but is the AF fee worth it? Also you accumulate MR right, does that go quickly like built up wise? Also whats the difference between gold and green charge?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Cards

@Skye12329 wrote:

I guess im a little confused on why people have them? Like i know you need to PIF every month on them, but is the AF fee worth it? Also you accumulate MR right, does that go quickly like built up wise? Also whats the difference between gold and green charge?

You PIF before the next billing cycle ends.

You earn MR's and can accumulate.

Green is $95 AF, Gold is $125 AF

Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

You PIF before the next billing cycle ends.

You earn MR's and can accumulate.

Green is $95 AF, Gold is $125 AF

Green card earns 1MR point per dollar spent, and 2x on "eligible purchases through amex travel"  95$ annual fee

Gold card is 1 MR point per dollar spent, and 2x on "eligible purchases through amex travel" - 125$ annual fee

premier rewards gold card is 3xMR on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, 2x on gas and supermarkets, and 1x on everything else. - 175$ annual fee

in my opinion the gold card is just a green card in makeup that costs more. 

Eligible purchases are travel purchases, excluding car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, and Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection bookings, booked through amextravel.com on your Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card. To earn 2X points on each dollar of eligible purchases, you must charge air, prepaid hotel, vacation packages (flight + hotel packages), American Express Vacations packages or cruise reservations through amextravel.com to your eligible, Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card.

The annual fee is worth it if you can make it worth it and earn enough points. With the introduction of the everyday and everyday preferred cards, the charge cards seem to be becoming less and less useful. They used to be the only cards that earned transferrable membership rewards points, now, not so much. 

Message 3 of 13
js0319
Established Contributor

The underwriting standards seem to be lower on charge cards vs. credit cards with AMEX. For many, like myself, it was a way in. I used it like I would have used a debit card, but I accumulated MR points, I didn't have to pay the $175 fee for the first year, and I received a 25k point spend bonus. 11 months later, I was approved for the EDP with a $15k CL. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 4 of 13
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I have the Green card now and just got the Everyday.  I think the ED card is going to take the place of the green card.  I like the idea of having a charge card with amex and their backdating helps my score quite a bit.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the Platinum for the ancillary benefits, the MR points alone won't justify the AF for me. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VegasKyle wrote:

I have the Green card now and just got the Everyday.  I think the ED card is going to take the place of the green card.  I like the idea of having a charge card with amex and their backdating helps my score quite a bit.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the Platinum for the ancillary benefits, the MR points alone won't justify the AF for me. 

I got the PRG and ED together off the same HP.

Got backdated to 2010 when i got my Blue Sky.

Message 6 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

The underwriting standards seem to be lower on charge cards vs. credit cards with AMEX. For many, like myself, it was a way in. I used it like I would have used a debit card, but I accumulated MR points, I didn't have to pay the $175 fee for the first year, and I received a 25k point spend bonus. 11 months later, I was approved for the EDP with a $15k CL. 

+1 I applied for the PRG because I wanted to make sure to get my foot in the door. I ended up being instantly approved for the BCP the same day on the same pull. Would I have gotten the PRG if I knew for certain I was going to get the revolver? Probably not, but I do use it still and did get a nice bonus out of it. If I had it to do over again I would not have gotten the PRG at all and would have waited for one of the massive plat signup offers and jumped on that, but I made a calculated decision and have no regrets. I also have the chase ink bold which is a biz charge card. I applied for it for same reason, I thought it would be easier to get than the revolver and I wanted the signup bonus etc. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Laddi wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

I could never understand the logic either. I believe their are some good rewards credit cards without an annual fee. I would never apply for one.

They're definitely worth it for the in with amex, and the signup bonuses with the waived first year annual fee. 

Message 8 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

Also it should be pointed out that there are some charge cards like the Amex plat that people are getting for the perks of the card. The card itself is not great, but the benefits that come with it can offset the AF and be quite valuable to someone who is a frequent traveller. Of course, you have to be really honest with yourself about whether or not you are going to gain enough value out of the card. Most people will not IMO, but there are some people who definitely do. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The Amex platinum card is for the benefits. The rest of the charge cards are pretty much garbage. Lol.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.