Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Cards

@jsucool76 wrote:
The Amex platinum card is for the benefits. The rest of the charge cards are pretty much garbage. Lol.

Not really.

It's kind of a prestige thing. Not that the new generation sees it that way however.

Message 11 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Like i know you need to PIF every month on them, but is the AF fee worth it? Also you accumulate MR right, does that go quickly like built up wise?

Both subjective matters.  Worth is always subjective regardless of topic.  There are certainly those that find the AF on AmEx charge cards worth it or they wouldn't hold the cards and AmEx wouldn't have any reason to offer them.  You really just need to review the cards and see if they suit you.  It's no different than it is with any card -- charge or credit.

One's spend and the earn rate on MR points for the given card dicates how quickly one accumulates MR points.  Spend isn't the same for everyone.  Aagain, you need to consider your specifics versus the cards.  If you know your spend and the earn rates then you can figure out how quickly you'd accrue MR points.

Something that you're probably overlooking with charge cards is that they don't impact revolving utilization with current scoring models.  Some of the older models did factor them into revolving utilization.  If one has a lot of expenses that get reimbursed then that's just one example of where a charge card can be useful.

@Skye12329 wrote:

Also whats the difference between gold and green charge?

This is covered on the AmEx site and they even have a comparison tool.  We're certainly happy to address specific questions but you're basically asking us to do all the research for you.  At least read up on the AmEx site first.  For one thing, there isn't just one Gold card.

@Laddi wrote:

I could never understand the logic either. I believe their are some good rewards credit cards without an annual fee.

You're conflating your needs/wants with logic.  Again, it's subejctive and some will find X worth it while others will not.  Don't simply dismiss cards with AF's and make sure you're considering total cost/benefit for your specific situation.

@jsucool76 wrote:
The Amex platinum card is for the benefits.

Even the Platinum isn't worth it to everyone.  Each needs to determine whether a given card works for the individual or not.  No card is one-size-fits-all.

@Anonymous wrote:
It's kind of a prestige thing. Not that the new generation sees it that way however.

Has nothing to do with generation.  It's a matter of the specific individual.  There are people for whom "prestige" matters from every generation and there are those for whom it does not matter from various generations.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VegasKyle wrote:

I have the Green card now and just got the Everyday.  I think the ED card is going to take the place of the green card.  I like the idea of having a charge card with amex and their backdating helps my score quite a bit.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the Platinum for the ancillary benefits, the MR points alone won't justify the AF for me. 

+1 for strategy. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.