Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Cards

tag
bed
Valued Member

Charge Cards

Are there any products similar to Amex's charge cards offered by other creditors?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge Cards

@bed wrote:

Are there any products similar to Amex's charge cards offered by other creditors?

Not that I'm aware but technically all credit cards can be 'charge' cards.  You just need to pay in full each month.

Message 2 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Sinclair Oil offers what they call a Charge card.

https://www.sinclairoil.com/cards/types.html

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Is there a certain reason why you want it to be a "charge" card? Is it the NPSL thing? That's offered by many credit cards too.

As someone else pointed out you can make any credit card into a charge by simply PIF each month. To me, there's no distinct advantage to an actual charge card. I think people have them either because some of them offer good benefits that aren't matched with a corresponding credit card, or to control spending. If you want to control spending I understand (or if there are benefits you can't obtain w/ a credit card; some of Amex's charges have unique benefits).

Message 4 of 16
bed
Valued Member

@kdm31091 wrote:

Is there a certain reason why you want it to be a "charge" card? Is it the NPSL thing? That's offered by many credit cards too.

I'm doing a write-up of revolving cards vs charge. Not as familiar with charge cards. Do all or most NPSL credit cards require full payment after each billing cycle?

Message 5 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No, NPSL cards don't require PIF, with the exception that whatever you charge above the stated limit you do have to PIF. So that portion would act the same as a charge card. There is just no "preset" limit assuming you PIF for the difference above your actual limit.

If your limit is $5k and you charge $8k, you can get the charge to go through since it's NPSL, but you will be responsible to pay it down to at least $5k by the due date.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 who offers NPSL credit cards? I'm a little confused here.
Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@kdm31091 who offers NPSL credit cards? I'm a little confused here.

Most VIsa Sigs, or World Master Cards are "flexible spending", potentially allowing charges above the CL, and, as KDM says, requiring that you pay the excess back in the next cycle.

But traditionally, the advantage of an Amex charge card is that you get much higher limits (internal) quicker, so you can charge eg $50K when it might take some considerable time to get a CC with a similar limit

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

now understand charge cards haha.

Message 9 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, NPSL cards don't require PIF, with the exception that whatever you charge above the stated limit you do have to PIF. So that portion would act the same as a charge card. There is just no "preset" limit assuming you PIF for the difference above your actual limit.

If your limit is $5k and you charge $8k, you can get the charge to go through since it's NPSL, but you will be responsible to pay it down to at least $5k by the due date.

Think you meant 3kSmiley Happy being as you went 3k over the 5k limit.. Just so you don't confuse OPSmiley Happy

Edit: 

I am an idiot, he is correct.. Misread his comment

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.