Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge card vs. Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge card vs. Credit Card

lg8302ch - great card collection with excellent CLs and Aprs!
Message 11 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
lg8302ch - great card collection with excellent CLs and Aprs!

Thanks...there is room for improvement on my APRs (fully satisfied with the limits)  and I am on a mission to find out if I can get all cards to their best terms before Chase Freedom will step down a tiny bit from their horrible 22,99% APR..I love challenges! ..still some cards on my wishlist for next year: Fidelity Amex, US Bank Cash+ and SPG but strongly gardening until next year Smiley Happy and who knows if something new will appear on the credit card market until then.

Message 12 of 19
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You can't rely on your own preferences to understand the preferences of others.  If those people could rely on free self discipline then they wouldn't see the benefit from the external pressure.

In any case, not everyone pays the AF for a charge card simply for discipline.  There are the reasons cited above plus specific benefits provided by given charge cards.

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Apart from the Amex Platinum, i don't understand why you'd want to get any other charge card.

Why do you think only the Platinum makes sense?  Even the Platinum isn't one size fits all.  One who values UR points more than MR points and needs a business cahrge card could find the Ink Bold to be beneficial, just as one example.  Again, don't assume that your situation an preferences are universal.  People select different charge cards for similar reasons to why people select different credit cards.

I made reference to the Platinum charge card because i thought Amex was the only company supplying charge cards that are worth getting. I didn't know there were others. I do understand you point thought. I haven't had to deal with MR points (maybe till i get a PRG for the bonus alone), but UR points are pretty valuable. You get a couple of bucks off if you use them for travel activities.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 13 of 19
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

What happens if you don't pay your full balance in any given month? 

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 14 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@SMDLiquid wrote:

Like any cc, failure to pay will result in AA. Charge cards are not revolvers -technically payment is due in full upon receipt. 

Message 15 of 19
core
Valued Contributor

@SMDLiquid wrote:

First time, they charge you interest and send you a nice letter.

Second time, they charge you interest/fees and send you a nasty letter.

Third time, 3 strikes and you're outta there.  You might find your account canceled.

Also you will go to the bad place after you pass away.

Message 16 of 19
jd352
Regular Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

From what I have read, charge cards also don't factor into utilization due to their NPSL. 

Charge cards are really beneficial to the wealthy. They can charge tens of thousands of dollars at a time with no need to worry about credit limits.

To the wealthy but also those with reinbursed expenses for example.   If your employer suddenly requires you to fly to Asia and spend 2 weeks there (and will reimburse you once you provide receipts) you can put this on all on your NPSL charge card and between reporting and getting reimbursed, the high charge doesn't impact your utilization, decreasing your credit score.

The other major reasons:

1) Amex charge cards easier to get than many credit cards

2) As mentioned by someone, some people like the discipline of having to pay off each month.  Yes, they should be able to do this with a credit card, but the extra pressure helps.

Yeah I never understood why people were willing to pay for  a charge card just because it was a PIF every month. I can have discipline for free, 

I believe charge cards have annual fees because of the lack of interest income - at least that was the original idea. With swipe fees, they make some money. But, still not as much as those that pay interest on revolving CC balances. I think an Amex swipe fee is around 5% while revolving interest on balances is 12%+. Depending on the charge account type, the AF increases as benefits increase (other than the Green and regular Gold). 

They do "things" that make your membership worthwhile. They also refunded me for a cell phone when it stopped working after the manufacturers warranty - which was a super easy process. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 17 of 19
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

@E150GT wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

From what I have read, charge cards also don't factor into utilization due to their NPSL. 

Charge cards are really beneficial to the wealthy. They can charge tens of thousands of dollars at a time with no need to worry about credit limits.

To the wealthy but also those with reinbursed expenses for example.   If your employer suddenly requires you to fly to Asia and spend 2 weeks there (and will reimburse you once you provide receipts) you can put this on all on your NPSL charge card and between reporting and getting reimbursed, the high charge doesn't impact your utilization, decreasing your credit score.

The other major reasons:

2) As mentioned by someone, some people like the discipline of having to pay off each month.  Yes, they should be able to do this with a credit card, but the extra pressure helps.

Yeah I never understood why people were willing to pay for  a charge card just because it was a PIF every month. I can have discipline for free, 

I believe charge cards have annual fees because of the lack of interest income - at least that was the original idea. With swipe fees, they make some money. But, still not as much as those that pay interest on revolving CC balances. I think an Amex swipe fee is around 5% while revolving interest on balances is 12%+. Depending on the charge account type, the AF increases as benefits increase (other than the Green and regular Gold). 

They do "things" that make your membership worthwhile. They also refunded me for a cell phone when it stopped working after the manufacturers warranty - which was a super easy process. 

Right. Everyone here seems to use them for the benefits, including myself Whenever amex comes up on other non cc forums like the car forums I frequent, they always mention only the fact that they need to be paid off every month and that keeps them from incurring debt. Tey never mention the points or perks. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 18 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

@E150GT wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

The other major reasons:

Right. Everyone here seems to use them for the benefits, including myself Whenever amex comes up on other non cc forums like the car forums I frequent, they always mention only the fact that they need to be paid off every month and that keeps them from incurring debt. Tey never mention the points or perks. 

Yes but I do not see how the green offers any more than the Amex revolvers with much lower AF. For a PIF strategy I do not need to pay a higher AF ..I can do this on revolvers too and pay less Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.