Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge not showing up on my Amex card?

tag
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Charge not showing up on my Amex card?

Hi all, 

A few weeks back I got a new Amex Blue Cash Everyday card. That weekend, my fiancee and I were looking at a new mattress, so I put the $1500 charge on my card, aiming to reap the 2% cashback for this department store, plus the signup bonus ($100 for spending over $1000). Since I was a new cardholder and this was a large purchase, Amex initially blocked the purchase for security reasons. After calling them and verifying the purchase, they cleared it and it showed up on my statement. The mattress was delivered on Sunday. 

However, now when I look at my Amex account online, the purchase doesn't show up at all! Moreover, it's not even reflected in my "available credit." I talked with Amex support staff briefly on Live Chat, because I wanted to make sure this wasn't an error that would come back and hurt me later. (I'm certainly not trying to avoid paying for what I bought, and I certainly don't want to get in trouble with a new lender.) They said the charge's absence might be a problem due to with the department store, and that I should check back later. 

Any advice? Has this ever happened to you with Amex, where a purchase is made, the charge posts, the item is received, and the charge later disappears? 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge not showing up on my Amex card?

yeah that can happen anytime. transactions can only be in "pending" status for up to 5 business days by law (usually falls off after 3 business days). after that 5 day mark they fall off of the pending status but they can pull the money up to 6 months later legally. granted it'll probably come out this week, but they have flexibility to hold off for up to 6 months. don't worry, they'll get their money. sometimes their systems don't upstate as often as walmart, who usually takes their money the next day
Message 2 of 4
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Oh interesting. And frustrating, since I don't want to spend another $1000 to get the cashback bonus...!

For the record, this department store was Macy's. I guess I'll wait and see. 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

first: i am sure you'll see it post sometime this week
second: if you read the fine print, i do believe that if the purchase is within the first 90 days it doesn't matter when it posts. amex will honor it
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.