cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeback with Visa Gift Card--any experiences?

tag
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

Chargeback with Visa Gift Card--any experiences?

To make it short, I bought tickets from TicketMaster to a show and had issues with TM that they refused to help resolve after contacting them and getting transferred around between them and the venue, I gave up and just opened a dispute with Visa. It's actually a Visa Gift Card, so I'm not sure how they handle these things. They told me it would take 45-90 days before a resolution can occur. I wish I'd purchased with my Amex or a credit card. Anybody have any experiences with disputes through Visa GC/ MetaBank?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Chargeback with Visa Gift Card--any experiences?

No matter what card you used, 45 days is the standard turnaround time for a chargeback (too short if you are a merchant, it's not uncommon for merchants to get the paperwork AFTER the deadline has passed). Not sure if you can get a temporary credit though like if you had used your Amex/other CC? I don't think prepaid cards are as good for chargebacks (had an issue with a customer involving a Payoneer issued MC and it was...not good to say the least). Hope it works out in your favor.

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 3
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Chargeback with Visa Gift Card--any experiences?

@Callandra wrote:

No matter what card you used, 45 days is the standard turnaround time for a chargeback (too short if you are a merchant, it's not uncommon for merchants to get the paperwork AFTER the deadline has passed). Not sure if you can get a temporary credit though like if you had used your Amex/other CC? I don't think prepaid cards are as good for chargebacks (had an issue with a customer involving a Payoneer issued MC and it was...not good to say the least). Hope it works out in your favor.

+1

I agree; using a prepaid gift card is basically one step above using cash, and is more "iffy" than debit for the cardholder since with debit, even though it's your money, you are the bank's customer - and usually will continue to be - while with the gift card, the issuer truly has no real interest in expending further resources to assist you once you purchase their card. 

This being said, all is not lost, and I would personally be 'cautiously optimistic'.  If it were me, I would make detailed notes of every interaction (keep a log of all calls, including the time of day and the person you spoke with, if possible).  If you're prompt with their request and have your paperwork together, it should greatly increase your chances of a satisfactory resolution.

Please keep us posted with your progress!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.