cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged interest on a purchase that I wasn't given a due date to pay yet..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged interest on a purchase that I wasn't given a due date to pay yet..

So this was weird ( maybe its not )

I have a jetblue barclay card. My statements post on the 11th of every month. So december 11th, I have a balance of 111. I make the min payment of 27. So I owe 84 dollars. Thats fine, and ill pay the interest on it when the next statement comes.

So on Dec 17th, I make a purchase of 400 dollars, which I will obviously get the bill for on Jan 11th, and ill pay off.

Well I get the bill today, and I am charged interest on 484 dollars, which I found wierd because why would I be charged interest on an amount that I wasnt billed for yet?

Called barclay and they waived the interest fee but told me that " Whenever you leave a balance in a previous month, any purchase that was made and that has not be paid off in the current month, will get interest automatically when the statement posts " 

IS THIS TRUE? This has never happened with any of my other cards... 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Charged interest on a purchase that I wasn't given a due date to pay yet..

Yes when you don't pay your statement balance you loose your grace period therefore interest is charged from the time of purchase
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is interesting. I never knew that. 

Message 3 of 5
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a jetblue barclay card. My statements post on the 11th of every month. So december 11th, I have a balance of 111. I make the min payment of 27. So I owe 84 dollars. Thats fine, and ill pay the interest on it when the next statement comes.

So on Dec 17th, I make a purchase of 400 dollars, which I will obviously get the bill for on Jan 11th, and ill pay off.

Well I get the bill today, and I am charged interest on 484 dollars, which I found wierd because why would I be charged interest on an amount that I wasnt billed for yet?

Called barclay and they waived the interest fee but told me that " Whenever you leave a balance in a previous month, any purchase that was made and that has not be paid off in the current month, will get interest automatically when the statement posts " 

That is weird. I see being charged interest on the $84 but not the $400.

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@irunfromcredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is weird. I see being charged interest on the $84 but not the $400.

As dragontears says, this is standard.   The way most cards work are that you are "charged" interest from the time of purchase, but this interest is waived if the balance is paid in full by the due date.  If you don't pay it all, the grace period doesn't apply, and you are now really charged the interest.   You need to PIF for two consecutive periods to stop paying interest.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.