Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargesmart.com

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Chargesmart.com

Anyone use this site and have any input on it?

With my new extended credit levels, I would like to put most (if not all) my monthly bills that don't immediately allow CC on my CC. Most likely rent, electric, etc.

Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this site, the fees, etc.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chargesmart.com

@jenn_bar wrote:

Anyone use this site and have any input on it?

With my new extended credit levels, I would like to put most (if not all) my monthly bills that don't immediately allow CC on my CC. Most likely rent, electric, etc.

Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this site, the fees, etc.

A few people have used it and the reviews seems pretty positive.

From what I've read, Chase and Citi posts it as a normal payment without any cash advance fees. Certain lenders might, so do read your T&C, or you can try it out with a test charge. 

The fees makes the whole thing not worthwhile, if rewards is what you're trying to go for. I would recommend you use it only for situations where you either cannot afford to pay your mortage, or if you just need help reaching the minimum spend for sign-up bonus.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

Unless you're using them to pay rent/mortgage, there are better options.

I use a service called Serve from Amex for smaller bills such as utilities, montly insurance payments and the sort which has "service" fees.  There's a bill pay option where you can fund with your CC at no cost that also accrue rewards.  Then, use their "pay bills" feature to enter vendor information just as you would for any bill pay in a bank account.

If your bills are high, you can opt for Bluebird from Amex.  Not as convenient, but can accomodate unusually high montly bills with no service charge.

PS - https://www.serve.com/  -  take a look, this is my preferred option for small utility bills.

Message 3 of 54
rkinnahan
New Contributor

This is interesting, I attempted to go the BlueBird route but have had trouble finding VR cards so I kind of gave up.  I'm not trying to manufacture spend, just accrue rewards for my car note.  I looked into this Serve and noticed in the fine print that cash advance fees may occur depending on your card.  Do you know which cards you use to up your account and whether or not it costs any cash advance fee?  I figure someone on this forum must know, don't want to go through the tedious task of testing out each card.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 4 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

This is interesting, I attempted to go the BlueBird route but have had trouble finding VR cards so I kind of gave up.  I'm not trying to manufacture spend, just accrue rewards for my car note.  I looked into this Serve and noticed in the fine print that cash advance fees may occur depending on your card.  Do you know which cards you use to up your account and whether or not it costs any cash advance fee?  I figure someone on this forum must know, don't want to go through the tedious task of testing out each card.

Me too, I chose Serve because it allowed me to (1) load directly with CC from my phone or PC; (2) free bill pay function.  The CCs I've used all counts as purchases with no cash advance fees.

I've used Citi, Chase, US Bank, Discover and Barclay.  Amex has no cash advance fee, but you won't get rewards.

Message 5 of 54
RSCo
Established Contributor

Does anyone know whether you can use Serve to pay your rent TO PRIVATE PARTIES (aka not a known full service rental company). Or, send money another person using money loaded on the card? Thanks

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 6 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@RSCo wrote:

Does anyone know whether you can use Serve to pay your rent TO PRIVATE PARTIES (aka not a known full service rental company). Or, send money another person using money loaded on the card? Thanks

You could, but the problem is the funding limitation.  

For CCs, the maxium is $250 per month; for debit cards, the maximum is $1,000 per month.  Unlike Bluebird, the limits are much less for Serve, unless you're willing to fund by DDA.

Message 7 of 54
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@RSCo wrote:

You could, but the problem is the funding limitation.  

For CCs, the maxium is $250 per month; for debit cards, the maximum is $1,000 per month.  Unlike Bluebird, the limits are much less for Serve, unless you're willing to fund by DDA.

However with the bluebird account, you can't load directly from a CC which is unfortunate.

However you can reload the bluebird account via reload cards and vs/mc gift cards with pin

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@oracles wrote:

However with the bluebird account, you can't load directly from a CC which is unfortunate.

However you can reload the bluebird account via reload cards and vs/mc gift cards with pin

Hope this helps

Right, and with Serve, you can't load prepaid vs/mc GCs with the pin feature.  And, you can't have both Serve and Bluebird.

Message 9 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

My point of this is to avoid service fees. (I don't know if this is possible, but I hope so!)

For example, my rental company just started charging $20 if I want to pay with CC. I was trying to see if there was a third party to take care of this. Does not seem like so! Smiley Happy

PS This is purely to rack up points, I will pay them off that week.

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.