Did you mean: 

Chargesmart.com

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chargesmart.com

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not quite sure what Open123 has mind as usually there will still be small fees, but there are some exceptions.

Basically, you need to by Visa/MC Gift Cards (usually there is a fee of $4.95 for $500, but through Chase for example you can sometimes get them with no fee.)

Then you can load them onto your Bluebird at no charge at Walmart (you can do it on line, but there is a very small limit and a $2 fee).  Then bluebird can be used to pay your rent.

Yeah, prepaid debits with a pin#; or, even...er...VRs.  Buy them at supermarkets with your BCP for the 6%.

Don't want to advocate this or anything, but is the 5X Citi drugstore card still around?

Oh! Just saw this. So I could buy a giftcard for $1500 or so (I assume $500 credit cards), go to Wal Mart and load them into Bluebird and then ship that to rent? Lemme play with numbers!

Message 21 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, bluebird can send a physical check.

Message 22 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Did any of you happen to see that Chase is waiving the $5 shipping fee for their gift cards online right now because they're not available at branches?

Could i use these with bluebird?

HOWEVER I wouldn't get 6% so scrap that.
Message 23 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Open123, the 5X offer is still around. It is for the thank you card, instead of the thank you preferred, and the application has to be done in a branch. Longtimelurker posted a thread about this before

Yes.  And for those of you not following every twist and turn of the 5x TYP closures, some strange things are happening.   Citi, without comment, has in some cases reissued the mortgage checks they had previously stopped payment on, and unfroze another person's TY account.  

Message 24 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

Very true, but I need to get it as a check....

Can you get a money order with a gift card since it's considered cash?

Here's what *I* would do if a Walmart were close to me.  I'd pay rent in one of two ways.

1.  Get a rewards debit card, such as the BofA Alaska Airline.  It earns rewards of 0.50 miles per dollar, but you can use it to load your Bluebird account free of charge at a Walmart.  Once funded, use Bluebird's bill pay to send a physical check payable to your landlord, just as you would any other bill pay service at a deposit institution.  With your rent, you'd earn 8,040 Alaska miles per year for a nominal fee of $30 for the debit card.

2.  Use a 5X rewards credit card to buy prepaid debit cards with a pin# at the higest denomination you can find at places where you receive 5X the points, e.g. supermarkets, office stores, drugstores.  Use the debit cards to fund your Bluebird at a Walmart just as in step 1, then send out a check. The 5X return will more than make up for any fee you incur with the prepaid gift card purchase.

I'm not suggesting you should do this, but merely this is what *I* would do, if I were in your position.  Smiley Wink  With option #2, you can earn a rebate of approx $200 - $300 per year just by paying rent.

Message 25 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not quite sure what Open123 has mind as usually there will still be small fees, but there are some exceptions.

Basically, you need to by Visa/MC Gift Cards (usually there is a fee of $4.95 for $500, but through Chase for example you can sometimes get them with no fee.)

Then you can load them onto your Bluebird at no charge at Walmart (you can do it on line, but there is a very small limit and a $2 fee).  Then bluebird can be used to pay your rent.

Yeah, prepaid debits with a pin#; or, even...er...VRs.  Buy them at supermarkets with your BCP for the 6%.

Don't want to advocate this or anything, but is the 5X Citi drugstore card still around?

Oh! Just saw this. So I could buy a giftcard for $1500 or so (I assume $500 credit cards), go to Wal Mart and load them into Bluebird and then ship that to rent? Lemme play with numbers!

There you go!  Sorry, didn't see this until after my reply. 

Numbers never lie.

Message 26 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I'm going to commit to doing number 2. However, using the BCE for that and the amount I spend in groceries each month ($500), I will most likely NEED the 3x CLI in 61 days. I usually pay off my cards every 5-7 days, but still. That's cutting close each time.
Message 27 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

If you are already spending 500 per month on groceries, that alone will reach the 6k cap on 6% cashback.

You should find another 3-5% card for the GC purchases then
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 28 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
If you are already spending 500 per month on groceries, that alone will reach the 6k cap on 6% cashback.

You should find another 3-5% card for the GC purchases then

6k cap a year? Thanks for that, didn't realize.

Not interested in getting another card. Just added Hyatt and BCP last night and I'm done for a while. I will probably just use CSP then to rack up some points. As long as I'm maxing the BCP rewards, I'm making money.

Message 29 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

Well you can use your CSP as well. If I'm not wrong, I think you break even using a 1% card for GC purchases. UR points are worth more than 1ccp though if you use it the right way.

It really depends. Some people think it's not worth the risk of getting AA if you are just breaking even. Personally I find it too troublesome for what it's worth, but if you can spare the time and effort go for it.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.