Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 4th quarter 5% categories

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 4th quarter 5% categories

Maybe Chase is happy to limit people's options of capping out each quarter.  They can still say they are a 5% rotating card and avoid big payouts. 

Message 41 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe Chase is happy to limit people's options of capping out each quarter.  They can still say they are a 5% rotating card and avoid big payouts. 

Sounds like marketing genius to me!

Message 42 of 61
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has Freedom won any quarter this year? I certainly don't remember there being any use for a Freedom since summer 2014.

It's pretty sad, since really Freedom is the only "cash back" card Chase even offers. All the rest are cobranded/travel focused/etc.

Don't forget the AARP Visa. Chase's cards are useless if you don't travel. I love banking there, they make everything so easy, but their credit cards are definitely overrated. 

Chase Zappos card is cash back. Chase Amazon card is cash back. Chase Amtrak Rewards is/was cash back...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 43 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon is definitley the best one out of those four options. I wish they'd change it up from year to year

Message 44 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely changed my Chase strategy. Here I was primed for my planned max Chase app for the Freedom and CSP. Now, meh, not so worth it.
Message 45 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Definitely changed my Chase strategy. Here I was primed for my planned max Chase app for the Freedom and CSP. Now, meh, not so worth it.

Don't give up on it yet..  I don't think Discover will be able to maintain this personally as their swipe fees are cheap and they are losing money unless people carry balances.  They are just trying to get customers IMO and will cutback big time sooner than later unless they want to really piss off their share holders.. Just my 2 cents.

Message 46 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't give up on it yet..  I don't think Discover will be able to maintain this personally as their swipe fees are cheap and they are losing money unless people carry balances.  They are just trying to get customers IMO and will cutback big time sooner than later unless they want to really piss off their share holders.. Just my 2 cents.

There's no way it will be sustainable. While I have little doubt I'll be cramming as much of my spend through Discover as I can next quarter(especially to take advantage of the Apple Pay Bonus), what about a year from now when I'm no longer getting double cash back? Then Discover will be a good card, with good category bonuses, that still isn't quite accepted everywhere I spend money.

Personally, my CSP goal, which I saw as a longer term goal anyway, hasn't changed at all because of this.

To me, the Chase bonuses look like they were chosen to target a specific demographic rather than trying to limit payouts. I mean seriously, 1500 spend in a quarter on Amazon? Most of the people I know professionally and probably at least half my friends, are likely going to be doing that anyway, regardless of what card they have. It's a safe bet most of them have shopped at Zappos before too. I usually order my replacement Eccos through them and my wife always at least checks their site when she's in the market for shoes.

Message 47 of 61
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually they lose very little on the rewards cards as a lot of the costs of the card are passed on to the merchant who accepts the card in a higher percentage fee when the card is swiped. Merchants agree to this when they sign up to take cards.

Message 48 of 61
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course we likely won't see this type of  Discover promo over and over, but it's still nice while it lasts, and trumps anything Chase is doing for its Freedom cardholders right now. That's the point.

Message 49 of 61
yfan
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually they loose very little on the rewards cards as a lot of the costs of the card are passed on to the merchant who accepts the card in a higher percentage fee when the card is swiped. Merchants agree to this when they sign up to take cards.

I doubt very much even for rewards cards the swipe fee is 5%. Besides in this case, Visa takes part of that cut so Chase doesn't see it all.

Addendum: Yup, the fees are nowehre close even for Visa Signature cards (let alone traditional rewards cards) to making up for 5% back.

Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.