Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 Rule Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase 5/24 Rule Question?

Hey guys! So I have been deciding over the past few days about applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to get the 50,000 UR points with the sign-up bonus. 

There is only one problem: I feel like I may be in violation of the 5/24 rule. From my understanding, you can not have 5 credit card accounts opened up in the past 2 years. 

However, does the 5/24 rule apply to closed accounts? I have an AMEX PRG that I closed about a year ago. 

Here is a picture of my Experian report via Credit Karma: 

http://i63.tinypic.com/wrieyr.png

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase 5/24 Rule Question?

It apply's to closed cards.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys! So I have been deciding over the past few days about applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to get the 50,000 UR points with the sign-up bonus. 

There is only one problem: I feel like I may be in violation of the 5/24 rule. From my understanding, you can not have 5 credit card accounts opened up in the past 2 years. 

However, does the 5/24 rule apply to closed accounts? I have an AMEX PRG that I closed about a year ago. 

Here is a picture of my Experian report via Credit Karma: 

http://i63.tinypic.com/wrieyr.png

Any credit card account, closed or not, counts

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So taking it from that, I could apply for the CSP on the precise date of Dec 4 and it should be fine? 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So taking it from that, I could apply for the CSP on the precise date of Dec 4 and it should be fine? 

correct, or you can go into the branch and see if you are pre approved for it and you should be able to by pass the 5/24 rule

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

correct, or you can go into the branch and see if you are pre approved for it and you should be able to by pass the 5/24 rule

YES going to the branch is your best option if you are at or over 5/24. I'm over 5/24 and went my local branch to see if I was pre-approved for the CSR. I unfortunately was not pre-approved for the CSR but I was pre-approved for the CSP and the Slate. I decided not to.apply.... I'm waiting to close on a home (hopefully next week) and then will go for one of these cards.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Def don't apply if you're at 5/24. Just wait I don't see them taking the 50K offer away anytime soon.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.