Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 rule or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 rule or not?

Muster up $10k in cash and store it in a Chase Savings account...another rumor on the internet granting people approvals.

I'm in the garden till fall 2017 when the flood gates open and I begin the Chase Appocolypse because I'm no longer under 5/24 Rule. 

Message 11 of 20
elim
Senior Contributor

@uswala wrote:

So, today both me and DW got invites in mail to apply for Slate! 

I got an invite for slate saturday. I have 16 accounts in 2 years... not biting.  It must be my Xmas spend posting, lol

Message 12 of 20
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Muster up $10k in cash and store it in a Chase Savings account...another rumor on the internet granting people approvals.

I'm in the garden till fall 2017 when the flood gates open and I begin the Chase Appocolypse because I'm no longer under 5/24 Rule. 

My Freedom was approved that way on my banker's recommendation after being denied twice before that. 

Message 13 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@uswala wrote:

I am resolved on not adding getting any new card. Still, I keep checking if I have offers available. Chase has been giving me no offer since last few months, understandably as I had 6 new accounts (5 reporting) in last 24 months. Additionally, I have 6 new (5 reporting) accounts as AU (owned by my DW). Same goes for my DW.

The weird thing is that we visited branch on Friday to close our saving account with them and the banker told us both of us are preapproved for their card. Now, I know what they see is pretty solid, however, we surely have opened too many new cards for Chase to be comfortable with Smiley Wink

I am confused now regarding their 5/24 rule.  

Disregard the banker telling you that you're preapproved; they're under pressure to sell-sell-sell.

Keep to your resolve not to get any new cards. Don't be seduced.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Slate this week because I wanted a decent BT card for some of the money I spent overseas, so it does apply for the Slate as well. Got hit with the 5/24. I was pre-approved for all 3 main Chase cards before my I got my CSP in April, which was my last card before applying for the Slate. Pre-approvals disappeared then and never returned. And yes, the CSP was my 5th card in two years. Anyway, I reconned twice and the analysts said there's nothing they can do. I even offered to move my limits on my other cards and they said nope. Am I stonewalled, or should I keep trying?

Message 15 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Slate this week because I wanted a decent BT card for some of the money I spent overseas, so it does apply for the Slate as well. Got hit with the 5/24. I was pre-approved for all 3 main Chase cards before my I got my CSP in April, which was my last card before applying for the Slate. Pre-approvals disappeared then and never returned. And yes, the CSP was my 5th card in two years. Anyway, I reconned twice and the analysts said there's nothing they can do. I even offered to move my limits on my other cards and they said nope. Am I stonewalled, or should I keep trying?

What are thre three main chase cards apart from the Slate?  Usually think of Slate, Freedom and CSP as the non-co-branded ones.

And on your question, experience seems to be that if you are hit by the 5/24 rule, it cannot be overridden via recon, which is why it has got so much attention here.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll also add that not all Chae branch employees are aware of a 5/24 rule. A month ago I was in a local branch conducting some business on my checking account. I noticed the sample credit cards displayed on the guy's desk and asked him about the 5/24 rule. He had no clue what I was talking about. At first, he thought I meant several inquiries and said some banks will deny based on that. I explained more about the 5/24 rule as it was told to me by a CSR and her supervisor. The guy was bedfuddled, said he had never heard of that.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got hit with the 5/24 rule yesterday. I have 3 new accounts by myself and 4 accounts as an AU. The analyst told me to take myself out of the AU accounts and to reapply in 30 days.
Message 18 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What are thre three main chase cards apart from the Slate?  Usually think of Slate, Freedom and CSP as the non-co-branded ones.

And on your question, experience seems to be that if you are hit by the 5/24 rule, it cannot be overridden via recon, which is why it has got so much attention here.

It's the same three cards. The situation was preapproval for Slate, CSP, and Freedom in the March timeframe, then app / approved for the CSP which put the number of cards over 5/24 and no Slate, no Freedom after April.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@uswala wrote:

The weird thing is that we visited branch on Friday to close our saving account with them and the banker told us both of us are preapproved for their card. Now, I know what they see is pretty solid, however, we surely have opened too many new cards for Chase to be comfortable with Smiley Wink

I am confused now regarding their 5/24 rule.   

Never rely on preapps.  They are just marketing.  As other have stated, bankers receive incentive for pushing product (i.e. always consider your sources).  5/24 applies as far as we know.  Stick to your plan.  Don't let marketing make decisions for you.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.