Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase AARP- The best card for dining?

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Chase AARP- The best card for dining?

Without all those nice CU cards (like Huntington, Golden One, etc) in my area, is Chase AARP the best way to earn most cash back on dining now?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase AARP- The best card for dining?

There's also Sam's Club for 3% CB.   Cash + can have 5% fast food and 2% restaurants; depending on your mix, this could work.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It is in terms of the highest overall dining percentage. You can get 5% fast food with Cash+, but it's only 2% on restaurants. (That's what I use, and it works well for me)

Keep in mind though, only using a card for 3% on dining expenses, it may take awhile to rack up usable rewards.

Message 3 of 24
onstar
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

It is in terms of the highest overall dining percentage. You can get 5% fast food with Cash+, but it's only 2% on restaurants. (That's what I use, and it works well for me)

Keep in mind though, only using a card for 3% on dining expenses, it may take awhile to rack up usable rewards.

You can start redeeming at $20, so that's only $667 in spend. That's pretty easy to redeem.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 4 of 24
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

There's also Sam's Club for 3% CB.   Cash + can have 5% fast food and 2% restaurants; depending on your mix, this could work.  

Almost forgot to mention this, I applied for cash+ but was offered the Cash Rewards. Wondering when can I applied for that again?

But anyway, I think most of my spending now would be restaurant, not really fast food...

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is one little-known card that offers a higher cashback return rate than AARP, and that's the SSFCU Power MasterCard, which is effectively a 3.3% cashback card at restaurants. But this card appears to be very geographically limited -- I, for one, live outside of its footprint.

Therefore, for me, AARP is king for dining cashback. (And I love mine!)

As mentioned, Sam's Club MasterCard is an option. It does have a couple of downsides though -- cashback only gets paid out once a year and (of course) it requires an active Sam's membership. 

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wuv my aarp card! my go to card for restaurants and gas whenever discover isn't offering 5% quaterly bonus.

Message 7 of 24
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wuv my aarp card! my go to card for restaurants and gas whenever discover isn't offering 5% quaterly bonus.

No reason not to, really.

Too bad they don't offer Travel version any more. I couldn't find another no AF card with 3% real cash back on travel now. SAMs MC requires membership, which just like AF to me since I don't shop there, and the fee doesn't justify the earning.

Bring back AARP Travel please!!

Message 8 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Bank of americas AAA card is no fee with 3 percent on travel purchases
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vwgrrc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No reason not to, really.

Too bad they don't offer Travel version any more. I couldn't find another no AF card with 3% real cash back on travel now. SAMs MC requires membership, which just like AF to me since I don't shop there, and the fee doesn't justify the earning.

Bring back AARP Travel please!!

I guess the travel card wasn't as popular as restaurant & gas card.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.