Not applicable

Re: Chase AARP Upgrade to Visa Signature

Congrats on the upgrades OP!
Message 11 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Was your Freedom over a year old?  Also did they give you a reason?

I was recently approved for the United MileagePlus Explorer at 15k, moved 1k to make my Freedom 5k (opened in Nov '14) and another 1k to make my AARP 5k (opened in Aug '15) as well.  Called Chase, the rep said she couldn't upgrade it to a VS, sent an SM, that rep said the same thing.  I tried ordering a replacement card, but it showed up as a Reg Visa.  

Weird...

Oz

Freedom is not a year old yet. It was opened up March 2015. 

I called the JP Morgan exec line if that helps. The customer service rep was able to instantly see if there were any upgrades available on the AARP card once I did the transfer and it showed up right there and then

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the upgrade Smiley Happy  To convert to a Freedom Siggy the account had to be at least 1 year old and certainly not with 22,99% APR ..oh now 23,24%. Not sure if that changed. Believe me it was a real struggle for me to get my Freedom changed. Good luck and I truly hope it will be painless for you. 

Message 13 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Congrats on the upgrade Smiley Happy  To convert to a Freedom Siggy the account had to be at least 1 year old and certainly not with 22,99% APR ..oh now 23,24%. Not sure if that changed. Believe me it was a real struggle for me to get my Freedom changed. Good luck and I truly hope it will be painless for you. 

Good to know. If I can't get anything on Freedom after March, I'll just move some of the limit back to the other cards or keep it that way anyway. Freedom is the highest APR on all my cards with Chase. Lowest APR I have with British Airways, AARP and CSP.

I wanted to convert the CSP into a Freedom but I don't think they have that option anymore.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 19
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 19
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Congrats OP! But can someone teach me what the main benefit would be by upgrading to Visa Sig?
Message 16 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@vwgrrc wrote:
Congrats OP! But can someone teach me what the main benefit would be by upgrading to Visa Sig?

Flexible spending limit and the kinds of benefits that your usual Visa Sig would come with. They told me that the flexible limit itself depends on how much you run through the card regularly so it doesn't mean that you can just spend over the limit just like that. 

Message 17 of 19
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was surprised they offered to switch you to the travel version. My father has this one and this is the only card he uses. They go on a couple cruises a year and he cashes out every October. I also have the same as you, gas and restaurants. 

I thought the travel version was no longer offered anymore. Did it come back? Or only available for switching from resturant version?

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vwgrrc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was surprised they offered to switch you to the travel version. My father has this one and this is the only card he uses. They go on a couple cruises a year and he cashes out every October. I also have the same as you, gas and restaurants. 

I thought the travel version was no longer offered anymore. Did it come back? Or only available for switching from resturant version?

Yes you can only get the card from having the restaurant version. I upgraded mine to a visa signature today and they asked if I wanted the travel or restaurant/gas version I stuck with the restaurant version because I don't have another 3% cashback card for restaruant purchases right now. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.