Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase APR reduction - No Luck but sharing insights

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase APR reduction - No Luck but sharing insights

Always be careful relying on what one CSR says with any company.  They can be mistaken, misinformed, misleading, etc.  While there are good, knowledgeable CSR's out there you can also find plenty of examples in prior threads where CSR's have been incorrect.

I haven't seen an APR reduction from Chase in the years that I've had cards with them.  Granted, one's anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much on its own.  I've also never seen an auto CLI but my wife has.  She hasn't received any APR reductions either though, FWIW.

Message 11 of 15
Courtyj725
Established Member

Thanks for those added details. I know the reviews have purpose and can change things, I just don't know what they are looking for to reduce an APR. Either way, I'm still a ways to go and in my pay down period these days so I don't expect leaps and bounds to change. I just keep an eye out for breaks wherever I can get them.

Hopefully Chase sees something in my review worth reducing my APR for.

Wallet: JetBlue Plus Barclay MasterCard - $3000/ Cap One Quicksilver - $2500 / Citi Diamond Preferred - $2000 / Chase Slate - $2000 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa - $1900 / Discover It - $1900 / Target - $2100 / Macy's - $2100 / Victoria Secret - $950

Starting Score 6/17/13: EQ:651 EX:640
Current Score: TU:685 5/5/16 EXP: n/a 5/5/16
Goal Score: 750
Message 12 of 15
Courtyj725
Established Member

Thanks @Sharingan for the insight.

I am nowhere near ready to reapply for cards or capable of justifying a reason it would be beneficial to. That's really silly that they would ask people to do that rather than work with them on their existing profiles.

I am just remembering now that  had my APR lowered when I requested it on my Slate. I had the lovely no APR for an extended period of time and I told them I would pay it all off right now if they couldn't give me a lower APR than my lowers credit card at the time. They lowered it for me so that I could chip away at the debt. I wound up paying it off in full 3 months later, but, I wonder if my threat to pay it off really mattered or if lower APRs on the Slate are more flexible since the card doesn't offer any other perks.

Wallet: JetBlue Plus Barclay MasterCard - $3000/ Cap One Quicksilver - $2500 / Citi Diamond Preferred - $2000 / Chase Slate - $2000 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa - $1900 / Discover It - $1900 / Target - $2100 / Macy's - $2100 / Victoria Secret - $950

Message 13 of 15
Courtyj725
Established Member

Thanks for that reminder Takeshi!

I always try for myself to get information, and don't take any one person's word for the final answer,  hence the reason I ever called Chase in the first place. I did post about it because I found the review date that the CSR was able to see of interest. I have never read abotut that before.

I'll try again after paying off my Chase Freedom in a few months. I'll PIF and then call and say I would carry a balance if the rate wasn't so high. See if it gets me anywhere with another CSR then.

Message 14 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Courtyj725 wrote:

Hello Justme3,

Capital One was superbly easy. I used the chat from the online account services to simply check to see if there were any APR reductions available. Though not a permanent one, I got my 17% down to 14% for 7 months. I also used chat for Discover to reduce my APR and was offered two options, a temporary reduction for a lower rate, or a permanent reduction for a moderate rate, that was still at least 6 points lower than my original. I chose the permanent one. I'd rather not risk ever going back up to the higher rate.

Chats are surprisingly easy ways to reduce APR and product change with Capital One and Discover.

Temporary reductions no good.  Smiley Tongue  Get perma reductions (I have done it).  Planned to use same technique with Chase, but may close card,

Signature needs updating
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.