Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase APR reduction

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Chase APR reduction

Callee Chase to see if they could lower my APR on my freedom (22-23%) i forget, whatever is the highest. They said there was an offer on my account to lower it down to 12.74%. I then asked about my other 2 accounts, they said they cannot go lower on csp currently (16%) nor freedom unlimited (23%) and i said thats okay. Note this was reg. cust. service, no eo or anything.

Just as a point it seems that when there is an offer on the account they can do it. Also it does seem that chase does also go lower than their range too. My sister also was able to get her APR decreased, she went from 18% to 14%, no luck on her csp though.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase APR reduction

@Skye12329 wrote:
Callee Chase to see if they could lower my APR on my freedom (22-23%) i forget, whatever is the highest. They said there was an offer on my account to lower it down to 12.74%. I then asked about my other 2 accounts, they said they cannot go lower on csp currently (16%) nor freedom unlimited (23%) and i said thats okay. Note this was reg. cust. service, no eo or anything.

Just as a point it seems that when there is an offer on the account they can do it. Also it does seem that chase does also go lower than their range too. My sister also was able to get her APR decreased, she went from 18% to 14%, no luck on her csp though.

Wow, you should go get a lottery ticket. An APR reduction from Chase?

Maybe they finally are going to let go of their rigid "APR set for life of the account" thing.

Message 2 of 17
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Right! I am wondering if they are turning over a new leaf? However if they could bump up my FU line that would be great...its at 1600.

Its worth a shot to ask, my accts are 2 years old each if it helps anyone.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
Right! I am wondering if they are turning over a new leaf? However if they could bump up my FU line that would be great...its at 1600.

Its worth a shot to ask, my accts are 2 years old each if it helps anyone.

Maybe they are changing policies. All I have ever known Chase to do/say when you ask for a lower APR is to give the spiel about "we review accounts every 6 months and if you qualify we will tell you". Essentially they tell you to not even ask. Of course, I've never heard of this "review" resulting in an actual reduction for anyone.

Message 4 of 17
ddemari
Super Contributor

that is a huge accomplishment! asking chase for an apr reduc is like trying to find a pot of gold for most people. Interesting to see if others call in and see what chase can do for them. 

Message 5 of 17
sunni_one
Regular Contributor

Wow and Wow!!!  That is fantastic!  I haven't read many posts about chase lowering APRs.  Thank you for sharing, I'm going to give them a call, hopefully I'll be as fortunate as you.  Enjoy!

BoA Cash Rewards $45k | Chase Freedom $37k | NFCU Platinum $34k | Discover It $30k | Total Rewards $27k | Amex SPG $20k
Hawaiian Air WEMC $20k | Overstock $20k | Citi Simp $18k | Citi DP $18k | Amex Hilton $15k | Chase Hyatt $15k | Best Buy MC $15k
Home Depot $15k | NFCU LOC $15k | Pottery Barn $15k | Wayfair $15k | Target MC $12k | Amazon $10k | Amex BCP $10k | JCP $10k
Macy's $10k | US Bank Cash+ $10k / LOC $8k | Old Navy Visa $5k | Amex Platinum

Fico 08 scores (7/18/17) EX: 771 TU: 770 EQ: 770
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Could it be because these are mainline Chase cards (i.e. Freedom), and not partner cards (i.e., Hyatt)? Not sure if it can be done with partner cards, but would love it if it were possible.

I just can't see it happening, however, based on Chase's strong history of not doing any APR reductions at all. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats.. Doubtful it is eligible for Co-Branded cards.  Although suprised with their regular freedom as well!  I won't be calling as I don't want to bring unneeded attention to myself with chase looking at all my accounts Smiley Happy...  Good for you OP

Message 8 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations! Could it be because these are mainline Chase cards (i.e. Freedom), and not partner cards (i.e., Hyatt)? Not sure if it can be done with partner cards, but would love it if it were possible.

Historically, they have never (that I've heard of) been one to lower APR, regardless of whether it was a mainline or partner card. That's why you see so many people with old 23% Freedom cards that remain at 23%. It didn't matter, they just didn't lower APR, period.

Hopefully, that is changing, but this is only one report, so we'll see. OP may have just been extremely lucky.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! The OP did the impossible.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.