Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Accounts Clean-up Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Accounts Clean-up Advice

Hello everyone! First of all thanks in advance for all the advices and help.

My Chase Accounts

Sapphire Preferred, 15k, 2years 4months

Southwest, 20k, 9 months

Freedom, 10k, 6 months 5 months

As you can see, I currently have three Chase accounts and I'm planning to close all but the Freedom account - however it is the youngest account and I'm unwilling to lose all the credit age from my oldest account.

I'm planning to close my Freedom and Southwest and then transfer the credit line to the Sapphire Preferred and then change the Sapphire to the Freedom card.

Does this sound like a plan or are there any potential problems?

I'm concerned about (1) if my younger accounts (< 1 year of age) are eligible to "donate credit line" to CSP, (2) if CSP is eligible to change to Freedom card that I had a Freedom card that I'm about to close. Thanks!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Accounts Clean-up Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone! First of all thanks in advance for all the advices and help.

My Chase Accounts

Sapphire Preferred, 15k, 2years 4months

Southwest, 20k, 9 months

Freedom, 10k, 6 months 5 months

As you can see, I currently have three Chase accounts and I'm planning to close all but the Freedom account - however it is the youngest account and I'm unwilling to lose all the credit age from my oldest account.

I'm planning to close my Freedom and Southwest and then transfer the credit line to the Sapphire Preferred and then change the Sapphire to the Freedom card.

Does this sound like a plan or are there any potential problems?

I'm concerned about (1) if my younger accounts (< 1 year of age) are eligible to "donate credit line" to CSP, (2) if CSP is eligible to change to Freedom card that I had a Freedom card that I'm about to close. Thanks!

Thanks!

These moves make sense. Just make sure you can still PC your CSP to a Freedom before doing anything given the recent chase changes. Otherwise you may want to PC to a CS and keep your other freedom open. I'm not sure how chase reacts when you start getting really large credit lines on a single card after consolidating lines like that. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a good plan but keep in that you cannot PC the CSP to Freedom.  You can however PC the CSP to the CS.  Also, you should have no problems moving limits but keep in mind you will probably get your account manually reviewed before any consolidation...

Lastly, welcome to MYFICO..

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like a good plan but keep in that you cannot PC the CSP to Freedom.  You can however PC the CSP to the CS.  Also, you should have no problems moving limits but keep in mind you will probably get your account manually reviewed before any consolidation...

I've searched for previous postings people were able to product change CSP to the Freeom as long as the account age is over a year. Or is it a new rule?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've searched for previous postings people were able to product change CSP to the Freeom as long as the account age is over a year. Or is it a new rule?

You can do it from the Chase Saphire to Freedom but not from Chase Saphire Preferred to Freedom.  Silly rule but that is what they say.  So you have to move do the lower tier Saphire and then proceed to the Freedom.

Also, keep in mind it all also comes to your profile.  Some people are able to PC from the Chase Saphire while others have been unsuccessful. 

Lastly, I have seen on the blogs of people showing how to go about getting 2 Freedoms.  Chase is tightening the rules a bit so tread carefully..

Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I simply called the EO to ask about visa signature.  She simply clicked move from one card to another.  No manual review.  This was in April, just a heads up.   There is a manual review to upgrade cards.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Do what you're comfortable living with. If the cards no longer serve a purpose, close them. However, for any future apps, Chase may scrutinize your history a bit more than if you left them open, and I tend to think doing too many of these requests draws more attention to oneself.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.