cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon AU... or "another liable user"?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Chase Amazon AU... or "another liable user"?

A couple of days ago I decided that it might be a good time to get into Chase, so I applied for Chase Amazon Visa (yes, might be not the best option, but I want to hold Freedom for later). Surprisingly for me, I was instantly approved and I'm waiting for my card to come.

Today I called CS in order to ask how I can add my wife as an AU for this card (that has not arrived yet). The CSR told me to spell her name and then asked me a question that got me confused as I've never heard anything like this before: "Do you want to make her just an authorized user or would you like to make her liable for the account too?".  I asked if it would impact her credit and the answer was 'no' in both cases. The only practical difference is that in case of 'just AU' the card in her name will arrive by mail ... and that's it. In case of 'liable user' (as CSR explained) there will be some paperwork that we would have to sign and send back to Chase. 

For the time being, I asked CSR to make her an AU, but I still wonder what that stuff with 'liable user' was about. She's an AU on all (or almost all) my cards and I never had any questions like this before. 

Any ideas what it means practically?

Thanks! 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon AU... or "another liable user"?

From my understanding when I activated my Chase Southwest card, an AU may or may not have the trade line show up on their credit reports but by becoming a "liable user" it is guaranteed to show up on their accounts.

As an AU the Chase rep that I spoke with said it can be hit or miss when it comes to credit reporting.  Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't, but it always will for a liable party.  We opted to take our chances (different last names, but share an address so figured the odds would be decent that it would report for DF) but had them send the paperwork for us to keep on hand if we decide to fill it out later since there's no obligation to return it ever/within any time frame.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds to me like they were asking if you wanted a "joint" account where both parties are liable for the account.  Maybe there is another category of AU that I am unaware of but, when you said "liable for the account" that made me think they were asking if you wanted a joint account.

Message 3 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Agree sounds like they are asking if you want it to be a joint account. My husband is an au on my chase amazon account and it reports on his credit no issues.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 7
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Well, then I'm totally confused. As I mentioned before, the main reason for my confusion is that my wife is an AU on almost ALL my cards (BofA, Cap1, Discover, some of GE) and I never got a question similar to the one from Chase. And if I understand it right, at least some of the accounts my wife is AU on are reporting on her credit. 

Maybe it's just a 'wording game', but at this point I am totally lost about what CSR really wanted from me. I thought that "joint account" could be only a checking/saving, but not a CC, and in case of CC the only possible option is what I usually referred to as "AU".

Moreover, I thought that my wife is anyway liable for all possible debts that might happen on my CC (in case if I fall ill for a long time, for example) regardless of if she's an AU or not, but purely because she's my legal spouse (though I'm not that familiar with the US family law, but this is exactly the case in Russia where you _have_ to get any 'serious' loan with your spouse with no exceptions if you are married, because spouse is legally liable for such a loan anyway...) 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 5 of 7
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

There is required scripting but yes, they were asking if you wanted to add them as an AU or a liable joint user. CC Companies don't automatically assume what may be the spousal laws/stipulations in your state.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikka1 wrote:

I thought that "joint account" could be only a checking/saving, but not a CC.

No, credit cards also offer joint accounts. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.