Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - Amazon GC - Consider MS?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Chase - Amazon GC - Consider MS?

So my sister wants a giftcard from amazon for christmas.  Lets say I bought her a 50 giftcard on my Freedom since it is 5% for this quarter.. Would that be considered MS?  even if so, would chase freak out on me about that low of an amount?   

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase - Amazon GC - Consider MS?

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So my sister wants a giftcard from amazon for christmas.  Lets say I bought her a 50 giftcard on my Freedom since it is 5% for this quarter.. Would that be considered MS?  even if so, would chase freak out on me about that low of an amount?   

I wouldn't consider it MS.

Message 2 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just was wondering since it is "cash" equivalent.  How else are you really suppose to buy a GC from amazon other then CC though?  Guess they take check, but kinda want to get the extra 5% back

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just was wondering since it is "cash" equivalent.  How else are you really suppose to buy a GC from amazon other then CC though?  Guess they take check, but kinda want to get the extra 5% back

It's not though. You can't redeem it for cash. Charge it, you won't regret it.

Message 4 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Cool thanks... Figured it was ok, just making sure... So true MS is when you buy a Visa GC from say CVS and then goto another store and get a money order with that Visa Card and then cash it for cash, correct?  

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Cool thanks... Figured it was ok, just making sure... So true MS is when you buy a Visa GC from say CVS and then goto another store and get a money order with that Visa Card and then cash it for cash, correct?  

Yes.

Message 6 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

take two.... they're small

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Yes, that sort of defines MS from  a user perspective, the key point is that I then take the cash (probably deposited rather than cash it out!) and repay the credit card, and then repeat, getting rewards for very little real outlay.

Now from the issuer perspective, buying cash equivalents no matter what you do with them can be "bad", but as Nixon says, Amazon gift cards are really OK.  (Even if you can sell them and turn them into cash, but that's sort of true of anything!)

Message 8 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Yes, that sort of defines MS from  a user perspective, the key point is that I then take the cash (probably deposited rather than cash it out!) and repay the credit card, and then repeat, getting rewards for very little real outlay.

Now from the issuer perspective, buying cash equivalents no matter what you do with them can be "bad", but as Nixon says, Amazon gift cards are really OK.  (Even if you can sell them and turn them into cash, but that's sort of true of anything!)

Was waiting for you to ding in LTL... Ya amazon GC's are easily overlooked as selling them for a few cents less then they are worth and finding buyers woud be a PITA lol.... Anyways, only reason I wonder and asked about Amazon is I could hit the 1500 limit on 5x on freedom on just GC's and doubt chase would be to happy about that, although it is still small chump change to them although I assume they would frown upon it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.