Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon, Home Depot, Barclays Apple and US Bank Success

tag
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

Chase Amazon, Home Depot, Barclays Apple and US Bank Success

We just closed on our house last week and so I decided to pull the trigger on some new apps since its been a while.

I app'd in store at Home Depot since everyone on here said that was the way to go. I got an instant approval for 3K!  Then I did what others have done on here and called in and asked for more the next day. A couple quick questions and I was bumped to 5K.

Since I do quite a bit of buying stuff at amazon and wanted a visa credit card (I only have amex) I decided on the amazon by Chase.  It was hard for me to do it since I do not like Chase at all since they are bailout money takers, but it was the only rewards card that even came close to having everything I wanted in a card.  Got an instant approval there for 3K! I couldnt believe that one since I had a bunch of lates with them way back in 2005 or so. 

My TU FICO is in the 650 to 670 range -havent checked since mortgage credit pulls, was 660.

My EQ FICO is 686 as of yesterday.

My EX FICO was 685- havent checked since mortgage pulls.

I have no collections and no baddies since 06 and about a 44%overall utilization.

I am most excited about the Home Depot one, gonna need a new lawn mower or chain saw soon Smiley Wink

Update in post below.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Amazon and Home Depot Success

I just cancelled my HD card with a limit of 1700. I paid the card off from a balance of 1500 which showed in my account both from PSECU and online at HD 3 days after I did it. 10 days later went to purchase a new front door for 600 and they denied it since it apparently could not be verified the payment went through. This was on a friday at 730 at night. I left off the phone when the store closed at 9 and everyone in line thought it was hilarious I was making an ass out of the lady on the phone. I cancelled the card while standing in line. I was calm and collected the whole time. This was until the lady told me "Maybe I should shop during the business hours of my bank that way they could verify it." Which somehow just flipped my switch. They ended up hanging up on me after a long drawn out conversation. While standing in line they offered me an additional 1000 dollars on my limit, so I could purchase the door. However, I dont like having huge limits. I can still remember repeating to her over and over what is my alance on the card and she would say 0. Then I would ask her what is my limit and she would say 1700. Then I would ask her when the pulled the money and she would say usually within 3-5 business days however she could see it was 3. Then I asked her if she owned a calander. I will NEVER use HD credit for anything ever again. They apparently could care less how much money and time you spend there. I ran over 10grand through that card in one year just on random equipment and materials. Apparently the credit gods were looking down upon me. Lowes matched the price on a new washer and dryer 2 weeks later and even had 15% off recently when HD was only offering 10%. Which made me feel like I did the right thing cancelling. Home depot called me monday (cancelled friday) to let me know that my remaining balance on the card after I paid it off from the extra 10 days of interest once it cleared was 14 dollars and change. I said I didnt mind paying it since I saved 5% more at lowes anyway and she told me to have a nice day and hung up on me.

Good luck with HD! lol

Andrew

Message 2 of 6
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Hopefully I dont have the same outcome.  I dont really plan on using it much, just enough to keep open.

As an update I apped for the following the next day, and am now done for a long time.

Barclays Apple Card: $1500 - Declined on instant, approved with recon.

US Bank Platinum: $4000

Message 3 of 6
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Congrats on that US Bank approval.  I am envious.   A few years back, I got a secured CC with US Bank.  My credit was horrible at the time, so it was my only credit card.  Once it reached a year old, I was eligible to have it upgraded to unsecured, but my FICO was not high enough (required a minimum 680).  The main thing holding back my score was 14 medical collections from my ex-wife.  Well, I finally got the collections paid and the CA agree to delete.  My score shot up to 690 and I got the card unsecured Smiley Happy  They kept the CL the same as it was when it was secured ($1100) and refunded my $1100 deposit. 

Less than a month later, I was going on vacation and I wanted to rent a pontoon boat, so I called the rental place and tried using my newly unsecured US Bank card for the reservation, but they said it was declined.  Well, I knew I had more than enough room on that card, so I called US Bank to find out what was going on.  Well, 2 weeks after they unsecured my card, 2 additional medical CA's that apparently weren't included in the original wave of 14 popped up and dropped my score back to 620.  US Bank IMMEDIATELY CLD'd me from $1100 down to $400 (my balance at the time was $390).  This all happened before I even knew about the CAs (and I had two different credit monitoring subscriptions).  Well, the CA for these two collections would not PFD.  It is now almost 2 years since they CLD'd me and almost 4 years since I originally opened the secured card, and I am still sitting at $400 Smiley Sad

Those two med CA's are the only baddies left on my report.  If they were gone, I would easily be over 680 again.  Instead, I am stuck at 630, and they will not budge until I above 680 agin, even though I have never been late on a payment with them in the almost 4 years the account has been open. I am afraid to even pay down the card anymore because I am worried they will "balance chase" me all the way down to $0 since I am below 680.  This is the oldest card I have now and the only one that really has the potential to someday have a reasonable credit limit (my other cards are all rebuilders that will never really go anywhere).  But...I can't....seem....to get...above 680 Smiley Mad because of my EX-WIFE.  Some day, though.................

Message 4 of 6
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@valley_man0505 wrote:

Congrats on that US Bank approval.  I am envious.   A few years back, I got a secured CC with US Bank.  My credit was horrible at the time, so it was my only credit card.  Once it reached a year old, I was eligible to have it upgraded to unsecured, but my FICO was not high enough (required a minimum 680).  The main thing holding back my score was 14 medical collections from my ex-wife.  Well, I finally got the collections paid and the CA agree to delete.  My score shot up to 690 and I got the card unsecured Smiley Happy  They kept the CL the same as it was when it was secured ($1100) and refunded my $1100 deposit. 

Less than a month later, I was going on vacation and I wanted to rent a pontoon boat, so I called the rental place and tried using my newly unsecured US Bank card for the reservation, but they said it was declined.  Well, I knew I had more than enough room on that card, so I called US Bank to find out what was going on.  Well, 2 weeks after they unsecured my card, 2 additional medical CA's that apparently weren't included in the original wave of 14 popped up and dropped my score back to 620.  US Bank IMMEDIATELY CLD'd me from $1100 down to $400 (my balance at the time was $390).  This all happened before I even knew about the CAs (and I had two different credit monitoring subscriptions).  Well, the CA for these two collections would not PFD.  It is now almost 2 years since they CLD'd me and almost 4 years since I originally opened the secured card, and I am still sitting at $400 Smiley Sad

Those two med CA's are the only baddies left on my report.  If they were gone, I would easily be over 680 again.  Instead, I am stuck at 630, and they will not budge until I above 680 agin, even though I have never been late on a payment with them in the almost 4 years the account has been open. I am afraid to even pay down the card anymore because I am worried they will "balance chase" me all the way down to $0 since I am below 680.  This is the oldest card I have now and the only one that really has the potential to someday have a reasonable credit limit (my other cards are all rebuilders that will never really go anywhere).  But...I can't....seem....to get...above 680 Smiley Mad because of my EX-WIFE.  Some day, though.................

Since these are med CA, can you use the HIPPA process to remove them?

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 5 of 6
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Yes, I plan to use HIPAA once I come up with the money to PIF, which I haven't been able to do so far.  I was recently hospitalized myself for a weekend due to a heart issue I was previously unaware of.  I have been putting all my spare money towards those bills to keep them out of collections.  Once those are gone, then I will focus on the ones from my ex that are already in collections.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.