cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Visa Increases Rewards to 5% - LIVE!

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon Visa Plans to Increase Rewards to 5%?

@deltatee wrote:
Thanks for the update UcleB! I found some useful information on Amazon's website for those of use who already have the 3% version of the card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202109390

FYI, existing cardholders might not have to do anything.  I followed the instructions to view my payment methods and my Amazon.com Visa has already been updated with the 5% rebate and the new design.

Also, this card now has no FTF and extended warranty protection (the latter of which I don't think the card had before), per the product page.

Message 51 of 185
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I'm confused. Doesn't this render the Amazon Store Card obsolete? I don't have either of the Amazon cards but a couple of friends do. This is a tempting replacement for Sallie Mae's 5% Amazon,  moreso than the Synchrony card for me because I'd rather get in with Chase than Synch.

It does for some people, but keep in mind that the Synchrony card generally has a lower bar for approval, and then there's Credit Solutions to get the credit line bumped up as well. 

Also the Synchrony version has 0% promotions (or rather, 'deferred interest') so if somebody wanted to pay over time the Synchrony 'store card' could still serve that need.

For most people, though, the Chase version will now be preferable, assuming they can qualify for it. 

Agree 100% with above.  They both have their places.  I just perfer Chase and a Visa over a store card personally as just more flexible if needed.  Store card has benefits of 0% financing, but a regular apr of 26 apr if not mistaken and a rather jumpy Sync lately.  Pros and cons of each. 

I do expect to see a decent amount of applications though due to SM going away though.  Time will show on approvals sections.  Good luck all to that apply Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 185
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

@deltatee wrote:
Thanks for the update UcleB! I found some useful information on Amazon's website for those of use who already have the 3% version of the card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202109390

FYI, existing cardholders might not have to do anything.  I followed the instructions to view my payment methods and my Amazon.com Visa has already been updated with the 5% rebate and the new design.

Also, this card now has no FTF and extended warranty protection (the latter of which I don't think the card had before), per the product page.

Must vary, because my card showed 3% until I followed the update instructions (just basically enteing the full card number)

Message 53 of 185
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I'm confused. Doesn't this render the Amazon Store Card obsolete? I don't have either of the Amazon cards but a couple of friends do. This is a tempting replacement for Sallie Mae's 5% Amazon,  moreso than the Synchrony card for me because I'd rather get in with Chase than Synch.

It does for some people, but keep in mind that the Synchrony card generally has a lower bar for approval, and then there's Credit Solutions to get the credit line bumped up as well. 

Also the Synchrony version has 0% promotions (or rather, 'deferred interest') so if somebody wanted to pay over time the Synchrony 'store card' could still serve that need.

For most people, though, the Chase version will now be preferable, assuming they can qualify for it. 

^^^ This.  But Sync's card will still have a place for folks like me who won't dare to app for another Chase product after the hell and interrogation they put me through (old Providian Visa account) just to get the CSP.  Chase has a very long memory and don't have a problem reminding you of it.  Sync seems to have a much shorter memory and higher limits seem easier to obtain with them than with Chase.  My CSP was approved at $7k and has remained there for several years.  No auto increase and again, I won't suffer through another interrogation just to get one.  

Message 54 of 185
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Wonder if this will be the FOTM card or not... Certainly better than the 3% card and if you don't want to deal with Sync then this or Cash+ is way to go.. Cash+ has draw backs of obvious reasons and Sync store card version of it does as well.. Perfect timing IMO since SM is going away for it to be released.  Should be interesting if people go after it or not considerig it isnt part of the the 5x24 rule currently.

If you have Prime and will have it anyway, this card is definitely a solid option now, whereas before it was not. There hasn't been much FOTM lately so this could well be next!

I don't think it'll have the same level of interest as Sallie (which was a great card for people who didn't shop at Amazon frankly too, though we're the ones that are complaining the loudest re: Amazon nerfing heh).

My purchasing from Amazon is going to go way down over this year, but when I come off the road if I'm not mortgage shopping within a year, why not?  Way more attractive option than getting gift cards from stores that I don't routinely visit anyway.

        
Message 55 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

This article implies the new Prime card is metal.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170111005311/en/
Message 56 of 185
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
This article implies the new Prime card is metal.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170111005311/en/

I can't even...

        
Message 57 of 185
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

In approvals, but got to nudge you guys that don't check that section and on borderline whether to apply or not.  I have zero will power, especially when you start to mess with my SM card and nerf it!  Calling Barclay's today and cancelling card and cashing out rewards prior.  Considering I spend 500-1k a month at amazon it was a no brainer for me personally

amazon.JPG

Message 58 of 185
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

In approvals, but got to nudge you guys that don't check that section and on borderline whether to apply or not.  I have zero will power, especially when you start to mess with my SM card and nerf it!  Calling Barclay's today and cancelling card and cashing out rewards prior.  Considering I spend 500-1k a month at amazon it was a no brainer for me personally

amazon.JPG

I also cancelled my Sallie Mae today!  I redeemed my rewards a couple weeks ago and my final payment posted yesterday.  The agent informed me that I would have 60 days to redeem my rewards after closing.

Message 59 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

For anybody having problems finding the link give this a try: 

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember/ref=footer_cbcc?_encoding=UTF8&plattr=CBFOOT

Thanks UncleB for the update! I updated the thread and gave you credit of course Smiley Wink

Message 60 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.