Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase/ Amazon question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase/ Amazon question

The Chase Amazon card is one I wish I didn't apply for back in February.  Denied!  I wish I'd tried for the store card instead.  Smiley Happy  

Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This will probably sound stupid.  I know Chase is picky about new accounts when applying for Freedom, SP etc.  Are they as picky with the Amazon card? 

If you're considering the Chase Amazon card have you looked at the alternatives for rewards on Amazon spend such as the Sallie Mae and the Amazon Store Card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am also looking at Discover and Am Ex.  I really hate trying to pick!

If you want feedback you need to clarify which card.  AmEx is a creditor and they have many cards.  You also need to provide what you're specifically looking for to use as criteria to evaluate.  Otherwise people will just blindly recommend what they prefer.  However, you need to select cards based on your specific needs/wants.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to follow up on what decisions I ended up making and the results.

I chose to go to Chase direct first.  I was approved for the Freedom card with a $10k limit and 13.99% interest, no interest for the first 15 mo.  I got my card in a week. This shockingly was my biggest starting limit and interest rate.  I used it to buy the 65 inch samsung 4k ultra that Sams had on special over the weekend Smiley Happy

Discover was next.  The 5% rewards for home improvement caught my eye. but when I saw double cash back, I was in. We just bought a house July 24 so I knew I would use that A LOT.  I was approved for $3,500.  I got my card in 4 days.  My first statement just cut which I didn't expect.  I used this card extensively over the past week and planned to pay that off this week.  I went in tonight to add my bank info and saw the statement with a $1,400 balance *sigh*  

I went with the Amazon store card.  Synchrony backs several stores (including furniture).  I wanted my foot in the door to establish payment history in the event I ever have to apply and/or recon.  I have been a prime member for 3 years so that 5% was just an added bonus.  $2,700 starting limit.  I just got the "card" on Saturday.  I haven't reconned it but plan to tomorrow.  My biggest shock here was that they reported the new account to fico 3 days after applying!

I also will be calling NFCU tomorrow before I close out my spree.  We are more interested in the line of credit than credit card but I most likely will apply for both.

I decided not to apply for AmEx right now.  I will apply after I garden for a year, build up some history and credit limits and also give my mortgage loan time to report.  I hope for better limits after all that is accomplished.  If app withdrawals are too bad, I can always apply for the DH lol

Although I have been strongly against using credit for many years, my lack of true knowledge was my worst enemy.  Understanding the rewards benefits, how to pif, when to pay and not to pay etc has totally changed my thoughts on using credit.   This site is invaluable to me.   I went from sub 600 scores to buying a house and getting prime cards! in 8 months!  I spent more hours than I care to think about reading on this site but it was all worth it!!!  My goal is to break 800 by Jan 1, 2017 but it make take til 2020 to do it lol

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Amazon for some reason is one of the harder card to obtain form Chase for alot of people.. Maybe that has changed in the last 6 months.

yeah hasn't really changed. i applied for the chase amazon visa 06/03/15 and had to go through the recon stage for $500 lol. kind of a joke lol and its not that good of a card... at all. discover, sallie mae and synchrony amazon trumps it.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.