cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon - talk me off or keep me on this ledge....

tag
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Chase Amazon - talk me off or keep me on this ledge....

What are your thoughts on this card? I have heard that it can be finicky. It has a couple categories that I like. Mostly, I started looking at it because I would get a $70 credit if approved, and I am shopping for DH's anniversary present on Amazon, and it would come in handy. I do not have a Visa credit card - just MC, Amex, and Discover, so I like that about it. I am just not sure if I should apply yet, but I really don't want to lose out on the great price that I found on Amazon. Kinda torn. The only thing that I have applied for in the past year is Discover. The next application I have planned is the Freedom in December of 2016 (if there is a $200 sign-up bonus) - I am really putting spend through Discover for the double cash right now. Any input is greatly appreciated!

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Amazon - talk me off or keep me on this ledge....

What are your scores and stats?

Is $70 worth lowering your aaoa and possibly score?

I don't have the card but I've read here a bunch of times that people who do arent too fond of it. They usually end up pc or apping for a new card and moving over limit. I always wondered why, because it does seem to have some benefits.

I almost applied a few months ago but in my case, its not worth it. Not in my top five.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Message 2 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No real advantage to a Visa over a MC - where MC is accepted, Visa will be, and vice versa...they're essentially interchangeable.

I used to have one. Honestly the rewards are nothing special. If a $70 bonus is enough to lower your AAOA and take a HP and be worth it to you, then go for it.

Message 3 of 24
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What are your scores and stats?

Is $70 worth lowering your aaoa and possibly score?

I don't have the card but I've read here a bunch of times that people who do arent too fond of it. They usually end up pc or apping for a new card and moving over limit. I always wondered why, because it does seem to have some benefits.

I almost applied a few months ago but in my case, its not worth it. Not in my top five.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Sorry, they are in my signature - here it is for those on mobile:

EX 729 (08/16/15) TU 727 (07/31/15) EQ 680 (06/05/15)
Amex Everyday: $18,000 | Discover IT: $7,500 | Cap 1 Quicksilver: $7,250 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000 | Walmart Synch: $3,300

I would not even mind rolling it into the Freedom after I open it next year. AAoA right now is about  2.5 years.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you shop at amazon a ton, like i do, and are a prime member, the regular old store card may be a better option.  love the 5% back, posts every month automatically, plus you have a better shot at being accepted. 

if you only shop there occasionally, ignore what i said

good luck for whatever card you apply for

Message 5 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Whata about the SM?  I know it is a MC, but 750 spend a month on it towards Amazon and 250 each for Gas/Groceries?  Also 25$ first swipe fee and also promo you can ask for which is another 50$ after 500 spend I believe, so that is 75 cash back and a 5% vs 3% Amazon card plus you can use it for Gas/Groceries @ 250 each a month @ 5%?  No AF of course.  Pretty much puts the Amazon Visa to shame

Message 6 of 24
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

No real advantage to a Visa over a MC - where MC is accepted, Visa will be, and vice versa...they're essentially interchangeable.

I used to have one. Honestly the rewards are nothing special. If a $70 bonus is enough to lower your AAOA and take a HP and be worth it to you, then go for it.

This is what I am struggling with. HP, not so much, AAoA moreso.

Message 7 of 24
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Whata about the SM?  I know it is a MC, but 750 spend a month on it towards Amazon and 250 each for Gas/Groceries?  Also 25$ first swipe fee and also promo you can ask for which is another 50$ after 500 spend I believe, so that is 75 cash back and a 5% vs 3% Amazon card plus you can use it for Gas/Groceries @ 250 each a month @ 5%?  No AF of course.  Pretty much puts the Amazon Visa to shame

DH has a SM, so I am not really interested in that right now, since he is using it for that. Thanks for the advice though. Would go for that otherwise.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card isn't that bad but all I use it for is Amazon and anywhere else Amex or Discover isn't accepted. The $70 credit was great plus they also add your card automatically to your account so as soon as you're approved you can start spending with it on Amazon. My only problem is with Chase since they gave me such a low spending limit I have to keep making payments throughout the month, and when you make a payment it doesn't add to your available credit until the payment posts one to two days later.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you try the chase prequal site for a freedom? freedom signup bonus is usually a 100 i think. if you're going to pc it anyway, grab the extra $30

who do they pull in your state? have you applied with them before? i've found them to be consistent if they pull one bureau or another for you.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.