Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase And Their New Account Service Charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase And Their New Account Service Charges

@haiti222 wrote:

More info here....They seem to be applying the fee to people with low rates and low rate balance transfers that they don't like anymore.....

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/388/RipOff0388782.htm 

Darn, I have 5.9 variable with them.

Message 21 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. I think I am going to be fine since I pay in full. However, I agree with the poster on that ripoff report. It does seem like it could warrant a class action suit. They are effectively changing the terms of the BT offer by adding this monthly charge.

OP, I'd be sending in my own ripoff report as well as a letter to their corporate office!

Message 22 of 96
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Sheesh! If it's not one thing, it's another. This world is so full of money hungry goons!

I wonder what they plan on doing to us WaMu CC holders!

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two different Chase cards, one business and one personal.  Enclosed with the newest statements was a new notice regarding upcoming changes to my account(s).

• Starting January 1, 2009, A new Account Service Charge of $10 per month will be applied to your account.  This charge is owed whether or not you use your account, and you agree to pay it when billed.
  • Your minimum payment due will increase from 2% to 5% of the ending balance on your monthly statement.  As a result, your required monthly minimum payment will increase.

Your APRs will not be impacted by these changes (gee, thanks!)

Both cards still continue to have no annual fee (hah!). 

My credit score remains in the mid 700's, and has been for years.  No new charges out of the ordinary.  No "reason" for these new service charges, except that they need lots and lots of cash... and quick!  

If this trend continues to spread to other CCC (and I believe it will), many Americans will have no choice but to default, and settle for paying 30 cents on the dollar down the line.

Thoughts? 

Message 23 of 96
charlie100

I received  something like this  for Cap one  card, didnt pay too much attention to it since it is  only if i carry a balance. Might be the same for chase cards . Also have chase cards but have not seen notice like this with chase. will keep an eye out , but  i would still contact cust service for clarification.
Message 24 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have a comment on the part where they're raising the minimum payment by 150% from where it is now (from 2% to 5%)? For example, if one had a $5,000 balance now, the minimum payment is $100. Starting Jan 1, the minimum shoots up to $250.

Yes, it will help you pay your balance much quicker, in the long run. However, if you're struggling to make ends meet, this might be what pushes you over the edge. Oh, don't forget the penalties for paying late -- late charges and.. you will lose your original low interest "transfer for life" rate, and now be paying the default rate!

Brilliant thinking on their part!!

Message Edited by Joey22 on 11-15-2008 05:20 PM
Message 25 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have a comment on the part where they're raising the minimum payment by 60% from where it is now (from 2% to 5%)?  For example, if one had a $5,000 balance now, the minimum payment is $100.  Starting Jan 1, the minimum shoots up to $250.

Yes, it will help you pay your balance much quicker, in the long run.  However, if you're struggling to make ends meet, this might be what pushes you over the edge.  Oh, don't forget the penalties for paying late -- late charges and.. you will lose your original low interest "transfer for life" rate, and now be paying the default rate!

Brilliant thinking on their part!! 

True, if they raise the minimum on someone with a significant balance, that could be hard for someone already stretched thin.

I have not received any type of notice from Chase (or any of my lender's) I do have a BT on the MC that is 0% for 15 months. It's under 2k but if they wanted it paid, I could take it out of savings. I also bank with them so I don't know if that is a factor?

Sorry again they are doing this OP.

Message Edited by stef37 on 11-15-2008 04:32 PM
Message 26 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I truly have yet to receive any information from Chase suggesting what you have posted.
Message 27 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

The statement for my husband's Circuit City Visa arrived the same day this was posted, so I had to rifle through the trash to make sure we hadn't missed any notices like this, but nope, just the usual Circuit City-related junk. Then he PC'd the card to a Freedom Plus and there were a couple of email alerts related to that. THEN an email a couple of days ago saying something about changes to the terms and conditions and to log into the secure message center (or whatever it's called) to read the message... I was almost convinced that this message would announce their intention to start charging $10 a month... but upon logging in, there is no message in there! Hmm.
Message 28 of 96
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

fevmlo wrote:
...THEN an email a couple of days ago saying something about changes to the terms and conditions and to log into the secure message center (or whatever it's called) to read the message... I was almost convinced that this message would announce their intention to start charging $10 a month... but upon logging in, there is no message in there! Hmm.

I got a similar message for my Borders Visa. Turned out (in my case) to be a change to their online privacy something something. I read it four times before deciding it wasn't a change to the actual account.

My statement drops on the 19th. Guess I'll know something then!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 96
notmyname
Regular Contributor

No changes on Chase and I did get the email concerning online privacy. This looks like histeria.

NMN

Message 30 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.