Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Bank Credit Card

tag
Dallasgirl
Valued Member

Chase Bank Credit Card

Here's something funny...  I just went down to the bank to make a deposit and the teller said, "Oh, Ms. So & So, you've been pre-approved for a Chase credit card.  Would you like to take advantage of it?"  I hesitated for a second and wanted to ask, "Would it involve a hard inquiry?"  "What kind of credit line?"  Then I chuckled and said, no thanks!   (NO NEW CREDIT FOR 09!)

I've been a Chase customer for about 15 years and don't ever recall them offering credit cards while transacting business.  I thought banks were tightening up on credit????

Photobucket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Bank Credit Card

IMHO I dont like the idea of tellers hawking credit cards.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 10
Dallasgirl
Valued Member

I agree.  Makes me wonder if tellers receive some sort of commission everytime someone says yes.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@Dallasgirl wrote:

I've been a Chase customer for about 15 years and don't ever recall them offering credit cards while transacting business.  I thought banks were tightening up on credit????

Based on your FICO scores, I'd lend you some money if I owned a bank.  There's almost no chance you wouldn't pay me back.

Don't forget that bankers love to offer umbrellas on a sunny day (high FICO scores), and take them away as soon as it starts to rain (low FICO scores).

Message 4 of 10
Dallasgirl
Valued Member

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:
Based on your FICO scores, I'd lend you some money if I owned a bank.  There's almost no chance you wouldn't pay me back.

Don't forget that bankers love to offer umbrellas on a sunny day (high FICO scores), and take them away as soon as it starts to rain (low FICO scores).

Thanks, M-I-P!  Unfortunately I had a bit of a rude awakening yesterday.... I got my very first Scorewatch notice only to let me know that my EQ score dropped 7 POINTS, and all because a $34 balance posted on my Lowe's card this month!  Finicky, fincky!   Smiley Tongue

Photobucket
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:
IMHO I dont like the idea of tellers hawking credit cards.

You, and everyone else who thinks that, should let the heads of the banks know that's the way you feel.  

After all, it's not the poor teller's fault that his/her bosses are telling him/her to sell sell sell.

Message Edited by woopah on 12-30-2008 02:45 PM
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bank used to do that all the time before the "Credit Crisis".  I think they do get some type of bonus or incentive to sign up new customers.
Message 7 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Dallasgirl wrote:

I thought banks were tightening up on credit????

Some of them want to keep their better customers happy.  It is just that different companies have different ways of defining "better".

I know my bank (USBank) softs me every two months or so 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 10
arjames01
Contributor

I noticed the recent asking from Chase as well. A month or two ago I went to see a personal banker, about re opening my savings, and he had me in there for about an hour! He did persuade me to open a Chase Freedom card, of which I don't regret! Very nice card for me!

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost everytime I visit the branch to do business, they would tell me I was pre-approved and did I want the card. I would say no and go about my business.

Well, this past month, the branch was really slow and I was doing my banking.  The teller's all  know me by name and remembered me turning down the other offers. She said it was for the Freedom card and it was a pretty black card. My Freedom Plus is blue, so, she turned her monitor around so I could see the offer and card. I asked about the limit and that I didn't really need another new account. When she said 12k, I got weak in the knees and had to give in. Best part no hard pull. Smiley Happy

I did have to call and get the card changed because they sent me the siggy card. I don't like the way Chase reports them, so they ended up sending me another Plus card, which is better the CSR said and I will NOT have to pay the $30 AF that is normally attached to this card. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.