Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Bank and Chase Credit Cards

tag
PhoenixDown
New Contributor

Re: Chase Bank and Chase Credit Cards

I personally wouldn't open that many accounts. Two, maybe three are good. It depends on how much you can keep in them and whether they charge fees if you are below certain amounts or have to make X many online bill payments a month.

Message 11 of 22
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I recently opened a Chase checking account and got a $200 bonus for doing so.

You may want to search the web to see if you can find one of those coupons to get the same deal.

Good luck!
Message 12 of 22
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I had a Chase personal & business checking for barely two years. One year after closing Chase checking accts, I was shocked to get a very generous CL for my first CC with them. The only explanation I can give is having a previous banking relationship. It matters!

Within a few months I would think you could at least get a Chase Amazon. Chase Freedom wouldn't be too far behind. For a CSP, 1-2 years of solid CC experience should do the trick. Play your cards right with Chase and it may happen much, much sooner than you're anticipating

Message 13 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

It depends on your average daily balance. If your balance is anything less than 5 digits, it probably won't help much, if any at all.

However, there's only so much a banking relationship can help. So don't worry too much about it and instead focus on whatever's in your CR.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 22
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

I'm going to second diversifying your accounts. I keep my savings in an Ally Money Market, and my Direct Deposit gets split between my Chase account and my credit union. It gives you a kind of peace of mind. The other point I'd like to make is that I'm 19, and I have both a Discover card and a Chase card (even if it isn't Palladium yet). I picked up a secured Capital One card, held onto it for six months, reconned both of the aforementioned cards, cancelled the Capital One, and have been happily sitting with them for six months.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 15 of 22
JonStur
Established Contributor

I've never had a relationship with Chase but they kept sending me Pre-approvals for the Freedom, and I finally bit a few months back... Now I'm getting the PreApps for the Slate and the CSP... So I think your credit profile also plays into this....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

However, there's only so much a banking relationship can help. So don't worry too much about it and instead focus on whatever's in your CR.

I think thi is true. I doubt they will overlook severe negatives on a report just because the applicant has a bank account with them. I've never had a problem with Chase cards and limits and the chequing account I have with them never has more than $500 in it.

Message 17 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

All things being equal, my impression is that out of all the national banks, Chase probably gives the most weight a relationship with multiple product lines. 

Message 18 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

All things being equal, my impression is that out of all the national banks, Chase probably gives the most weight a relationship with multiple product lines. 

A little OT:  My major banking relationship is with Everbank, which is certainly not a national bank, but anyway: I realized that they have never sent me a credit card offer, though they have pushed their more niche products (metals trading, currency accounts).  Turns out they do have one, but just for their customers, so their a relationship obviously counts!

So I look at the card: it has a lowish APR (10%) but other things are strange.  It can be a straight 1% card, 1 point per $ spent, and when you have 2,500 points, they automatically send you a $25 credit.  Or, and this is the strange bit, you can redeem the points for things like gift cards.  A $25 CVS (or any) gift card costs 3,500 points. Mmm!  Sounds like I should take the $25 from my 2,500 points and buy the gift card myself, even at full price.....

Message 19 of 22
bribro
Valued Contributor

If you have >$10,000 on deposit at Chase, you can apply for a Chase credit card in-branch and have them make a special notation on your application that will improve your odds. This is most helpful for those with thin credit files, not those with BAD credit. You also get that 10% points bonus on your Freedom card for having a Chase banking account.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.