Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Bill Pay for American Express Platinum

tag
BD9
Valued Member

Chase Bill Pay for American Express Platinum

So, I use Chase to pay nearly ALL my bills.

Recently, I added my Amex Platinum to Chase's bill pay service as well, and found it very strange that the system (Chase) didn't automatically recognize the payee (Amex) and it made me add in all the details (unlike pretty much every other major payee).

I didn't mind, except for that, since it didn't auto-recognize it, it means, Chase has to send Amex an actual check in the mail, meaning, my payment goes through 7-10 days, rather than 1-3.

So, I called Amex, got a couple other addresses from them to plug into Chase's system, that didn't work. So, I then called Chase, they went through a bunch of hoops, we named the payee "Amex", "AMEX", "AMERICAN EXPRESS", "American Express" and tried the three different zip codes provided by American Express (which were 90096, 75265, and 90746). Nothing worked. 

Finally the rep from Chase just gave up and said, I'll have to escalate this and have someone call you back (mind you, I was already in the "escalated dept". He did say though, that he's like 90% sure that American Express is in the system, but perhaps under a different name and zip code.

Sorry for the long drawn out convo, but does anyone here use Chase to pay Amex? And does your payment get there electronically? If so, what name and address are you using?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Bill Pay for American Express Platinum

No, but I was able to locate an American Express website and they have this cool feature. You enter your checking routing number and bank account,... and get this, AMEX can arrange a future payment out of my checking account. I’m like, woah!

What is really wild is I can even ask AMEX to auto pay my AMEX up to a certain amount every month, and they do. Isn’t that neat?

Smiley Wink
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
No, but I was able to locate an American Express website and they have this cool feature. You enter your checking routing number and bank account,... and get this, AMEX can arrange a future payment out of my checking account. I’m like, woah!

What is really wild is I can even ask AMEX to auto pay my AMEX up to a certain amount every month, and they do. Isn’t that neat?

Smiley Wink

Pull payments work fine but they're not as safe as push payment (digitally).  Lots of horror stories of screw ups that led to closed accounts just from a returned pull payment.

I don't pay Amex through Chase yet, but I will go log in and look and see.  Good idea to add them there, but if it's a check mailed, that's useless.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Smiley Wink

One that is responsible will push a payment to Amex from their bank because Amex closes accounts for returned payments. I’ve read of one Platinum user who was a 20 year Amex member who had his account shut down and lost 700,000 MR points for one returned payment. 

I would say your suggestion is bad advice to say the least. 

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

That is more of a cash management issue for the cardholder, not a mark against pull payments. Account Closed due to insufficient funds is my fault, not a payment method problem.

My suggestion to the OP is, if it is that convoluted to try to set up push, how much reliance can you place in it? With pull, it is always ACH electronic.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Chase Pay configured to pay my AMEX BCE & PRG.  The address is a Los Angeles (90096-8000) location which might not be the same for Platinum card payments.  The account was named "American Express" and Chase's system immediately recognized it.  I would suggest downloading your last statement from Amex and use the information on the payment coupon to set up your Chase Pay account.

I've also paid my Amex accounts using BillPay through a small community bank.  The first payment was sent by check, but the subsequent payments were ACH.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried adding my BCP to Chase and it didn't find it.  ZIP code in LA, 96069 or something.  Tried a variety of spellings of American Express, never found any of them.

Message 7 of 11
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I regularly use Chase to pay my CCs with my checking account. Including my 3 Amex cards. I believe I got the address from the pdf statement and had to enter everything manually. I probably send multiple payments a week to Amex and never had an issue. Here is how mine shows up. 

Name American Express

Nickname Amex SPG

Address PO BOX 0001 LOS ANGELES, CA 90096-8000

Phone number None

Account number ####

Delivery method 2 business day electronic

Pay from account ####

See on bill pay?  Yes

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...must be a recent glitch because I have American Express set up as a payee in Chase Bill Pay and its worked without problems.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 4.05.12 PM.png

Message 9 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

That's the same address I've used for all my AMEX CCs over the years and no issues from using Chase Bill Pay.

By the same token, all of my AMEX CCs are set up to pull payments from several payment sources. So while I get there can be some instances where things can go bonkers (individuals waiting until the last minute to pay, wrong account number input, NSF issues, etc.) I can honestly say that for as long as the payment feature was implemented in AMEX's website and using it for multiple AMEX CCs, I've never encountered any issues...even paying multiple Xs. The only times that it's been a minor setback (but expected) is when the site is unavailable, but then I can push directly from any of my other payment sources.

Whatever a person is comfortable in using as far as paying their AMEX CCs is up to them. Folks just need to be aware that things can happen on either side...pull/push.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.