Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI Question?

tag
ayasoysis
Established Member

Chase CLI Question?

I will be at the 6 month mark on my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and the 12 month mark on my United Mileage Plus Explorer this month. Does anybody know if Chase will allow for a CLI on 2 cards at the same time or what their policy is in general with respect to credit limit increases. Do they generally do 1x, 2x or 3x? I am so curious! Please share your experiences.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase CLI Question?

I never requested 2 increases at once. However, I was approved for the Hyatt card within 1 day of getting a 3x increase on my Explorer card.

Its def worth a try. If an analyst is brought on they will ask you what youre planning to do with the increase.
Message 2 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

You can request an increase on every card you have everyday if you want to; Chase has no restrictions. I asked for two cards and got both of them on the same day. One was't for that much because I didn't ask for much, but the other was more than 4x. You should ask for a high amount and if they can't give it they'll counter.
Message 3 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

You can request an increase on every card you have everyday if you want to; Chase has no restrictions. I asked for two cards and got both of them on the same day. One wasn't for that much because I didn't ask for much, but the other was more than 4x. You should ask for a high amount and if they can't give it they'll counter.
Message 4 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You can ask but be prepared for two hard pulls. I know it is the same bank but you are preparing to request a line increase for two separate tradelines. They may or may not use the same report to grant an increase on the second account. YMMV. But they will definitely HP you. I would wait for some auto luv. Chase auto luved me a few months ago and gave me 300 extra bucks.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 11
ayasoysis
Established Member

maiden_girl how long did you have the card before the auto luv?
Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@ayasoysis wrote:
I will be at the 6 month mark on my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and the 12 month mark on my United Mileage Plus Explorer this month. Does anybody know if Chase will allow for a CLI on 2 cards at the same time or what their policy is in general with respect to credit limit increases. Do they generally do 1x, 2x or 3x? I am so curious! Please share your experiences.

each time you ask for a CLI, you will be pulled once, even if the requests were made on the same day.

So for Chase, what I recommend is ask for a CLI on just 1 card. Ask for as much as you want, as long as that number itself is realistic, and have them counter you if they can't increase you by that much. Sometimes if the number you ask for is close to what they can offer you, you can get them to budge a little more to increase it to your original request. Depends on the analyst you're talking to. So being practical about it does help sometimes. 

After you are done with your CLI request, have them move some of the credit to the other card. Chase is pretty flexible with moving CLs across different cards. This way, you will be essentially getting CLIs on 2 cards for just 1 HP.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@ayasoysis wrote:
maiden_girl how long did you have the card before the auto luv?

My account just made one year. I got the 300 buck increase after 8 months of being open. I was carrying a large balance over 4k at the time. Currently carrying a 1k balance. YMMV. I've had a long banking relationship with them before getting one of their cards. I think that helps somewhat too.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I absolutely HATE that Chase HPs so much! Lol gah!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@ayasoysis wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath for an auto-CLI w/Chase. I've had Freedom for 1.5 yrs $3k and no CLI. Got Slate a few months ago and they wouldn't budge on $5k CL even w/recon. They are 2 of my lowest limit cards. IME, Chase is pretty conservative.

I agree w/person who suggested you CLI on ONE card (would suggest the lowest CL, so that gives you more room to CLI w/o going to overly high CL) and then move some of the CL to the other card. They seem more than willing to do that. Where they're prickly is in the total credit they're willing to extend.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.