Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI: What should I request?

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Chase CLI: What should I request?

So, I hate to start a whole new thread for this, but I'd really like to get some good info before I spend a HP on a CLI request on my freedom.

Synopsis: basically, I use my Freedom nearly 100% of the time and I'm ending each month at around 50% of the CL ($1700 of $3500) or so. I PIF each month, but I still don't like reporting that high of a balance versus limit on any card. As it sits, I would never leave a balance month over month. As holiday purchases and home owning type purchases come up, I would like the option to leave a balance here or there, but don't like piling more on top of that as I continue to use the card very day. So, I'd really like a decent CLI. In a perfect world, I'd like $10k, but I don't know if my profile would warrant that quite yet. (FYI, had Freedom since early July, so it's been 4 months. If Chase likes to see 6 months, then I guess that's the end of this anyway. I did not recon my original application or CL, so this was my auto approval)

Any options? Scores below, current cards have been having issues displaying in my signature, but my CLs are 3500, 3000, 2000, 2000, 1700, 1000. So, some OK limits, but nothing major. I seem to get the idea that $5k is that next hump to get over. Salary is 70k. Plenty of new account this year, but no new accounts or HP since July.
  • Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase CLI: What should I request?

If you have had Lowe's and Walmart for four statements definitely Call Credit Solutions and shoot high it's a SP. I believe chase likes to see more time on their card not sure. If you can get the GECRB CLIs you will have a better leverage to get higher limits on your other cards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:
So, I hate to start a whole new thread for this, but I'd really like to get some good info before I spend a HP on a CLI request on my freedom.

Synopsis: basically, I use my Freedom nearly 100% of the time and I'm ending each month at around 50% of the CL ($1700 of $3500) or so. I PIF each month, but I still don't like reporting that high of a balance versus limit on any card. As it sits, I would never leave a balance month over month. As holiday purchases and home owning type purchases come up, I would like the option to leave a balance here or there, but don't like piling more on top of that as I continue to use the card very day. So, I'd really like a decent CLI. In a perfect world, I'd like $10k, but I don't know if my profile would warrant that quite yet. (FYI, had Freedom since early July, so it's been 4 months. If Chase likes to see 6 months, then I guess that's the end of this anyway. I did not recon my original application or CL, so this was my auto approval)

Any options? Scores below, current cards have been having issues displaying in my signature, but my CLs are 3500, 3000, 2000, 2000, 1700, 1000. So, some OK limits, but nothing major. I seem to get the idea that $5k is that next hump to get over. Salary is 70k. Plenty of new account this year, but no new accounts or HP since July.

You could request whatever your feel comfortable with.  There is nothing wrong with aiming high (so as not to sell yourself short).  Ideally, you could request $10K but it may not get approved.  If it's not approved, they may offer a lower amount to get you to a mid-point.  Or, if not approved based on your short history with the account and other factors, then you could appeal your case with a credit analyst via the consideration/BDN# to see if there's some leverage with your request.  If this is your primary EDC, then be sure to provide some solid points that could strengthen/grow your relationship with Chase.

Message 3 of 8
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone had success after four months or shorter with Chase? Or could it actually be six months and I should just wait.

As for the GE cards comment. I actually just recently (two weeks ago?) hit the luv button and went from 1000>1700 and 2000>3000. Has it been too long since that to recon and ask for more? Especially the Lowes, which I run a couple hundred through each month. The Walmart I really don't care about.
  • Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Call credit solutions. It's in the back door numbers top of page under GECRB. Good Luck!

edit: you can ask for both CLI with the same call

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 8
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Welp, I had success with GECRB. Got my Lowe's card raised to $6k. Probably should have asked for more, given that I wanted more than that from Chase, but I'm pretty happy to get safely over that $5k hump, even with a store card. I'll call Chase and ask for $10k once the CL updates in the bureaus. Thanks for the advice. I decided to skip the walmart because I haven't used it in months and don't plan on it. I KNOW it's probably a free CLI that helps my portfolio overall, just principle I guess.
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

WTG congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jutz wrote:
Welp, I had success with GECRB. Got my Lowe's card raised to $6k. Probably should have asked for more, given that I wanted more than that from Chase, but I'm pretty happy to get safely over that $5k hump, even with a store card. I'll call Chase and ask for $10k once the CL updates in the bureaus. Thanks for the advice. I decided to skip the walmart because I haven't used it in months and don't plan on it. I KNOW it's probably a free CLI that helps my portfolio overall, just principle I guess.

Well, a little bird told me that some folks may feel guilty with doing that if they don't put much usage on the card...wink, wink. Smiley Wink Here's the thing, why not?  If your profile affords it (and not in the sense of overextension); but if your approach is conservative, this tends to translate in showing some seasoned TLs on your profile.  Which then provides some leverage with higher CLIs for some lenders.  In other words, your plane can only get off the ground if you've enough runway.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.