Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI denied, double HP!

tag
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Chase CLI denied, double HP!

I called yesterday to ask for a CLI on my Freedom card. I knew it was going to be a HP going into it which I was ok with. I asked for an increase from 7100 to 10000. My other limits are in the 7000-7500 range. It was 7-10 days pending. I then called the backdoor # and asked a credit analyst if he could review the request. He denied it stating that the limit was in line with my other cards and they weren't willing to raise it. I asked if he could offer a lower CLI and he flatly said no. If that wasn't bad enough, this morning I wake up and get a CS alert that EX was pulled? He told me they only pulled EQ. So I sign up for the Score Watch Trial here (something I'd been meaning to do) and see that EQ was pulled too! I'm thoroughly pissed at Chase. Is there anything else I can do or just suck it up to bad luck and move on?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase CLI denied, double HP!

Same happened to me few months back.
Message 2 of 6
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Nope, just suck it up and move on. You request to raise the limit was one HP, the other HP was the recon call asking to change the decision. The analyst should (or could) have told you it would be another HP but did not, and that's the way it goes. I always ask if it will result in a HP, good habit to have. Until you have years and years of history Chase tends to not lead the pack with CL. Once you have some time under the belt (and actual usage month in and month out they can analyze) they will match other limits at best. 

The surest way I have gotten a CLI from Chase is to blow up my card that needed a higher limit then PIF before close of statement as to report 0% ULT. Did it a couple of months in a row then stopped by branch to see my banker for increase. He made a call and got me a 5x on the card with a SP but he and analyst were able to see nearly 100% usage of limit twice with PIF. 

Message 3 of 6
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks for the perspective. Guess I will not poke the bear. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see my EQ score is 772, even with the new inquiry!

Message 4 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry about the denied CLI but that's a great EQ score!
Message 5 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

There seems to be quite a few reports of Chase pulling multiple bureaus.

Chase's policy has always been HP for a CLI, with the rare exception.  In my view, the best strategy to approach with Chase is to sign up for two cards (for the cards you want and corresponding sign up bonuses) at or near the same time.  Then, next year, call to close one of them and consolidate the CL into the card you'd like to keep.

This is hassle free, no additional HP and results in a potentially very high CL.  This is much better than the alternative of app'ing for one card and requesting a CL later.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.