Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI increase question

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Chase CLI increase question

I know everyone says it's useless trying to get a CLI with Chase and it's best to apply for another card and move the limit since it's a HP anyway. My question is if I do that, how soon can I move the limit after being approved, and if it's immediately and I close the card all together, will it report? I know some banks don't report cards til after a statement cuts and some (Cap One) will report it whether it was immediately closed or not
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLI increase question

You can move it immediately and it will still show on your reports. If you don't use the card, you should be able to move the entire limit.

Message 2 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The idea isn't really to open a new card you have no use for just to get a "CLI". That's silly IMO. You're taking a HP plus an AAOA ding.

If you have no use for a new card from them just take the HP CLI. Then you won't ding your AAOA. The other advice applies to people who actually want another card from Chase. Opening it just to move the limit and close it is going to make you look bad anyway, Chase will have their eye on that type of behavior.

Just go for a CLI if you want it.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
The idea isn't really to open a new card you have no use for just to get a "CLI". That's silly IMO. You're taking a HP plus an AAOA ding.

If you have no use for a new card from them just take the HP CLI. Then you won't ding your AAOA. The other advice applies to people who actually want another card from Chase. Opening it just to move the limit and close it is going to make you look bad anyway, Chase will have their eye on that type of behavior.

Sound advise!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely agree! Chase is someone's radar you do not wanna be on.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I know everyone says it's useless trying to get a CLI with Chase and it's best to apply for another card and move the limit since it's a HP anyway. My question is if I do that, how soon can I move the limit after being approved, and if it's immediately and I close the card all together, will it report? I know some banks don't report cards til after a statement cuts and some (Cap One) will report it whether it was immediately closed or not

How long have you had this card(s)?  Reason I ask is because I put quite a bit through mine, always PIF and at 6 months (2) of my cards got auto CLI's.  One of the CLI's was 47.5% on an $8,000 line.  The first card I got with them got a 30% bump on a $5k line, again without asking.

Message 6 of 12
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

You can move it immediately and it will still show on your reports. If you don't use the card, you should be able to move the entire limit.

Good Info. Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Good point. Who does Chase pull for a CLI HP? TU?

Message 8 of 12
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

How long have you had this card(s)?  Reason I ask is because I put quite a bit through mine, always PIF and at 6 months (2) of my cards got auto CLI's.  One of the CLI's was 47.5% on an $8,000 line.  The first card I got with them got a 30% bump on a $5k line, again without asking.

Also good info. I wonder if the PIF is the key to a Auto CLI for the 0% APR promotions?

Message 9 of 12
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

I don't know why everybody says that it's useless trying to get a CLI with Chase. Its very possible and happens routinely.

Also, Chase sometimes offers you a CLI without a hard pull. This is only offered if you initiate a request. Similar to an auto credit limit increase in that it requires no hard pull, except its not automatic. I coin the term as manual credit limit increase. I'll note that this is usually on the strong profiles (high use, pay in full, good credit scores).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.