Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI, new card app?

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Chase CLI, new card app?

I've heard that Chade is stingy with their limits. That auto CLIs are few and far between and if you ask for one, it'll most likely be $500 or so. Since my Chase cards are new, I have no idea personally.

Of course, many people suggest applying for a new Chase card and reallocating the limit to the old card that you want increased.

However, does it matter what kind of Chase card (I.e. A regular card be a co-branded card)? And if someone immediately opened a credit card, reallocated the limit, and then closed the new card, wouldnt that look bad to other lenders and to Chase?
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CLI, new card app?

When i first got my Freedom it started with 2k and after 3 mos doubled with a auto cli. After Chase sees how you use your current card they might give a you a higher limit for your 2nd card. As for co-branded or regular. Ask yourself what you want/need.

As for looking bad to Chase, meh i dont think it makes a difference personally. Or just SD the card not being used.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 11
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

I also got an auto CLI for my Freedom and Amazon at the 3-4 month mark. They seem to be more lax with giving high SL with cobranded cards. Other CCC probably won't care, but Chase might mind it.

Message 3 of 11
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I don't recall ever getting an auto CLI from Chase. However when I asked for a soft pull CLI, the CSR was able to do a 5-figure increase for me. Apparently they were waiting for me to ask.
Message 4 of 11
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Well, I asked for a SP CLI when I activated my CSP, and it was denied. I'm going to try and ask for it to be recon'd tomorrow.

But, does the sudden open and then closing of a new cc with Chase just for the limit hurt my credit report and all? I don't plan to worry about the CLI right now but it's nice to have th knowledge for future reference.
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 5 of 11
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:
I don't recall ever getting an auto CLI from Chase. However when I asked for a soft pull CLI, the CSR was able to do a 5-figure increase for me. Apparently they were waiting for me to ask.

How do you ask for a SP CLI with CSR? Can you pm me the number you used? I only got 1k increase on my united card after having it for 13 months

Message 6 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

How do you ask for a SP CLI with CSR? Can you pm me the number you used? I only got 1k increase on my united card after having it for 13 months

Usually they send you a email saying that your eligible for a SP increase. Otherwise its HP only. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 11
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Usually they send you a email saying that your eligible for a SP increase. Otherwise its HP only. 

I actually initiated a SP increase on a Chase Disney Visa while upgrading to Signature.  No HP, and CL increased $10K.  I had never received anything from them about CLIs, but just decided to ask when I was on the phone with them.   It is possible they sent me an email that was never received, but I haven't noted any issues with notifications from Chase going astray (payment alerts and such come through just fine).

Bigbang, I just called the number on the back of my card and the CSR I spoke with was able to do everything for me, the change to Signature and the CLI.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disdreamin wrote:

Is this for real? Never read where Chase did an SP CLI in the 5-figures! Congrats on your huge success Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

Is this for real? Never read where Chase did an SP CLI in the 5-figures! Congrats on your huge success Smiley Happy

Yup, went from $16.5K to $26.5K in one fell swoop, no hard pull.  Maybe it's the Disney thing, or the fact that I've been with them since 2006 and never a CLI (I didn't ask, they didn't offer) but they were able to do that just based on the last SP, apparently.   Even the CSR I spoke with sounded a little surprised, though, as I told her specifically I was not authorizing a pull, and only wanted a CLI if it could be done without a HP - she said she doubted it but would check, and that sometimes there were offers (can't recall the exact words she used...) available that were noted on certain accounts.  When she came back and asked if $10K would be enough, I was like YA THINK?! Smiley Very Happy  I would have just asked to round off at $20K or $25K, so it was a bigger jump than I would have asked for.

FWIW, it shows up on my online banking with Chase already, but as of 1/24 it had not reported to any of the CRAs.  Apparently Chase isn't in any hurry to update their reports to the bureaus...despite my large payment to them this past weekend.  Grrrr...  Come on, Chase, I need to see my first alert on the stupid credit monitoring.  Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.