cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI...when is the best time to ask?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CLI...when is the best time to ask?

I want to get the input of the members of these forums.  I have both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Marriott Preferred Cards.  When is the best time to ask for a CLI?  Is there a certain timeframe.  I notice that there is no luv button on their website.  I would just like to get people's thoughts.  Thank you and enjoy what remains of your weekend.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLI...when is the best time to ask?

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to get the input of the members of these forums.  I have both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Marriott Preferred Cards.  When is the best time to ask for a CLI?  Is there a certain timeframe.  I notice that there is no luv button on their website.  I would just like to get people's thoughts.  Thank you and enjoy what remains of your weekend.

Wait 6 months after approval and then try if you want to use an HP

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

after six months you can ask whenever you're willing to risk a HP my friend Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I was approved for mine in late April and got a CLI in early September. I had aggressively paid down a huge chunk of debt, ran my card $1000 within the limit and PIF, then waited for my scores to update. They were in the high 600s at approval and low 700s at CLI. I've noticed that with HP CLI banks (BofA and Chase) it's less about usage and time frame and more scores, while with SP (Cap One, Citi, Disco) they're very adamant on a set time frame and usage
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 6
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

There is no luv button because Chase doesn't like giving luv when you ask them. Generally, if they like you, they give auto CLIs at around 5-6 month and / or one year anniversary.

If you want, you can call in or send a secure message. A hard pull will be made. An increase is not guaranteed. Many people get $500 increases.

Conventional wisdom on this forum was to get a new card from Chase and move some limits rather than getting a HP CLI. However with the 5/24 rule, it may not be such a good option anymore.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 70% of my pulls are on EX, so I have a slightly different perspective:

The time to ask for a CLI from Chase is when you need the additional CL and can't wait any longer for an auto/SP one.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.