Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI worth a HP? Experiences?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase CLI worth a HP? Experiences?

I can't imagine having 21 inqs!!!

Awesome navigatethis!!! I haven't opened many new accounts imo... like three in the past six months.... Chase, Amex, and Discover. and it was a SP?

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks ricefed!!!!!! :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 28
ricefed
Contributor

Let me know how it goes. I'm looking to get and increase on one of my cards too lol.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 13 of 28
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I can't imagine having 21 inqs!!!

Awesome navigatethis!!! I haven't opened many new accounts imo... like three in the past six months.... Chase, Amex, and Discover. and it was a SP?

Well, we can trade inquiries so you can get a feel of how it is Smiley Happy. Three accounts is not a lot, to me, so you should be fine. The increase I requested resulted in a hard pull. 1000 for a hard pull is not worth it, but oh well.

Message 14 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

So, I've had my Chase Freedom about six months....

I emailed them via a Secure Message, and they replied explaining that it would indeed be a HP for a CLI.

I HATE HPs! So.... I don't think they would approve it anyway.... and I'm not wasting a HP

Has anyone had good experiences with requesting a CLI six months in? I know the ONLY time I've gotten a CLI from Chase is on an old Platinum, turned Slate card which was auto cli to $700 from $400... haha when I was 19.

I've had a Slate with a $2500 CL from that same time.

and the only current, active, and open Chase account I have is the $5,000 Freedom in question. The others were pif and closed bc they tried to increase my APR.

I guess what I'm asking.. is Chase good with CLIs? I'd like to hear experience with Chase clis if anyone would like to share....BTW, this card is my only card that is close to being maxed out due to the 0% apr on purchases and bts. :-) lol

My Chase freedom opened at 2,000 in 6-2011.  In 2-2012 I took a hard pull for a CLI and was denied, but called the credit analyst number in the backdoor sticky and was approved to increase to 5k.  At the time I think my next highest limit was a 3k USAA amex, and I was barely at 700.

That card was only 7 or 8 months old at the time...  I then called back exactly 6 months later, took another hard pull for an increase to 10k.  They again went past my next highest 6k USAA card, and most likely paved the way for Cap1 execs to approve the same limit on a previously 3,500 re-builder.

It's hard to accept a hard pull, but the temporary ding vs. the net gain on that, and it's effect on other cards makes it worth it for me.

The other thing is the value of the conversation with the credit analyst.  When I called each time, they were very candid about what they cared about, what made me get denied in the first place, and what they were looking for before approving the CLI.  I thought my 6 year old paid collection was my biggest derog, but it wasn't even mentioned.  What they were most concerned about was how old my high limit cards were, and whether I had a history of handling debts at that level.  They also seemed to consider it a positive that I PIF each month.

It's nice to talk to a real human with decision making power about your specific situation - probably the next best thing to an old fashioned banker you have lunch with.  Worth a hard pull in my opinion, and the sooner it's done, the sooner it's off the reports.  

My suggestion is that you wait until your new Cap1 limit shows on your CR, assuming that is successful.  Also, pay down the balance to zero, and have a good justification in mind for the increase.  I recommend something about how you are using other cards for daily spending, but like the Chase rewards better and want to use it more.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.  And don't forget to post the results!

Message 15 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks!!! I def'ly will... I think my other limits justify a CLI on Chase!!

Thanks again for the helpful info :-)

Message 16 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

Thanks!!! I def'ly will... I think my other limits justify a CLI on Chase!!

Thanks again for the helpful info :-)

Anytime. good luck.

Message 17 of 28
slippy84
Contributor

To piggyback off the OP: Does anyone have any insight about how much of a CLI to request at a time? Like how AMEX you can request 3X after 61 days, or Citi seems to like increases of $1500-$2000. Any info about how Chase's increases work?

Thanks for all the insightful posts so far in this thread. They've been very helpful!

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 18 of 28
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

My score has actually improved like almost 100 points! and the two reports they use usually (EQ&EXP) are completely CLEAN now :-) My FICO was like 640 when I got approved, and now it is closer to 740 on EXP specifically.

Hmmm... I just don't know if a HP is worth it ! lol I've never had this many inqs on my reports! lol I have like about ten on each report, give or take a few. I guess some people do have like 20 something though haha!

and it was only within the past month or two that  I charged it up so high. 0% is just amazing!

Do you have a Chase deposit account? If so, you should go to a Chase branch and see if you have any credit card pre-approvals. I did this and had a Sapphire pre-approval, which I took to get the sign-up bonus. As soon as the bonus is cashed out, I'm going to close the card and merge the limit back into my Freedom card.

Since the Sapphire's minimum CL is $5k, you could potentially increase your Freedom CL this way a lot more than you would be able to with a simple CLI, and you can get the 40,000 UR points on top of that. If you're going to take a HP, make it worthwile!

Message 19 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's a great point!! I've actually banked with Chase for four years... I don't think I get pre approvals though... Well at least not many... I only recently opted back in for pre screened offers of credit... I have been wanting that CSP lately... It's such a pretttty card with 2x pts on my most used category: restaurants haha!!!

:-)

Btw, did tou ask a Chase banker specifically if you had any pre approvals?
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.