Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI

tag
Goose7
Valued Member

Chase CLI

Hello everyone. It's been a long while since I've last posted here but I wanted to get your opinion on what would be my best option on getting a cli with Chase. I only have 2 inquiries on TU which are from Jan '16 and July '16 one of which was for switching my cable company. I have 0 on Equifax and I don't know if those 2 reported on Experiean.

I only have 3 cards with my oldest being from March 2013. My aaoa is 3.8yrs on Equifax and 5.2 on TU due to one of my dad's cards showing up on my report.

Now due to research I know Chase almost certainly requires a HP when it comes to a customer initiated CLI request, but I also read here that sometimes a better route would be to apply for a new credit line so I'm wondering if it is worth the hit to my aaoa or to just take the HP to gamble* on a cli. (*because I hear they're not always guaranteed with Chase.) any insight is appreciated. Regards, Goose.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
thummel
Established Contributor

Re: Chase CLI

Cli with chase are hit or miss. If another card interests you that they have that could be useful I would rather go that route of getting a new card then trying for a cli. But of course it's going to do a small ding to your aaoa which will recover in time. So basically it comes down to are you willing to try for a cli or pick up a new card and have a small ding to your aaoa which recovers in time anyway. Me personally I would just pick up a new card, especially if I was under 5/24 too.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I may ask...what are your current scores and current credit line on that card..?Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
Goose7
Valued Member

These scores are from CK.

694 TU
685 Equifax

My current limit is $4,400. When I first apped in Dec 13 I got a SL of $2,200 and then 3 months later in March I got an auto CLI of double my starting limit and I've been there ever since.
Message 4 of 13
Goose7
Valued Member

Yeah, like I said I only have 3 cards; 2 of which were last opened at the same day on Dec '13. That was the last time I opened a card let aloned opened a new credit line of any sort.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah so not to be negative, but I myself don't really rely on CK scores. Do you know your current FICO scores. I think knowing those scores IMO would help you make a better judgement of where you stand....

Message 6 of 13
Goose7
Valued Member

The only thing I have close to an official FICO is from my last Discover statement which was a 702. I also have one 30 day late from July 2015... (from Macy's) Hope this helps.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you want any of their new cards or would you just prefer a CLI on your current card?  Chances are good for you either way. Or both.

Message 8 of 13
Goose7
Valued Member

I'd rather just cli on my current card. Also what percentage of a balance compared to credit limit should I have at the time of asking? Will asking for a cli when a $0 balance is present make any sense or would having a nearly maxed balance may come off as desperate? Also what is a good reason you guys/gals have used in the past.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The closer to $0 balance the better for best results. I would hit the luv button online if you don't feel like calling.  Chase CLI often seem to be pretty solid even though they require a HP.  If you prefer to call then I would say you prefer to use the card more often and freely as a daily driver and would like more wiggle room.  You can also mention that in combination with wanting to keep utilization lower, as long as you say something else along with it so they don't think you're just looking for padding that won't be used. The key is to not sound like you need it, but that you could use the extra room and feel it's time for an increase and are looking to grow with Chase.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.