cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

New Contributor

Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

Please explain how Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited are complimentary. One is travel points and the other is cash back.

I recently was approved for CSR. Now I'm wondering if I should get Freedom U. However I don't understand how they would work together to maximize UR points.

ZC
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

Freedom U is a strickly 1.50% cashback card by itself.  But when it is matched w/ CSR you cash tranfer your rewards to your CSR and Freedom U becomes a 1.5x UR point for every dollar spent.  That means FU has at least 2.25% redemption rate 1.50x X 1.50 CSR travel redemption using travel portal = 2.25.  

 

Better yet with your CSR you can transfer to travel partners to get even a greater redemption rate on you UR points. 

Amex Plat | Amex EDP|Amex PRG | Freedom U | Ink+ | Chase Reserve | Citi Prestige | Citi AA exec
Message 2 of 17
Moderator

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?


ZeroChance wrote:
Please explain how Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited are complimentary. One is travel points and the other is cash back.

I recently was approved for CSR. Now I'm wondering if I should get Freedom U. However I don't understand how they would work together to maximize UR points.

ZC

They are complimentary because you can transfer the cash back UR points you earn with the FU card to the CSR where they then can be used to transfer to travel partners or book thru the UR travel portal for 1.5X travel points (which as redpat posts above, gives it a 2.25% redemption rate when using the travel portal).  You would use the FU card for purchases that are not bonus categories for the CSR and earn 1.5% cash back (points) instead of just 1X points if you used the CSR  for the same purchase.  This way then you can pool the points and utilize them for travel where Chase UR points are at their best.  This is true for the Freedom card as well.  That is why you wil find people that have all 3 cards (and in some cases a Chase business card as well) so that they can earn as many UR points as possible.

Message 3 of 17
New Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

Thank @redpat and @irish80.

It's confusing because although the FU is a cashback card, there's reference to points.

Reading your posts and the fine print from Chase, $1 earns 1.5 FU point, which is equal to $0.015. The FU points can then be converted to cash back or to UR points at 1:1. Did I get that correct?

ZC
Message 4 of 17
Moderator

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?


ZeroChance wrote:
Thank @redpat and @irish80.

It's confusing because although the FU is a cashback card, there's reference to points.

Reading your posts and the fine print from Chase, $1 earns 1.5 FU point, which is equal to $0.015. The FU points can then be converted to cash back or to UR points at 1:1. Did I get that correct?

ZC

You're welcome and yes that is correct with one small note.  The FU cash back always shows as UR points whether you transfer them to the CSR or not.  It's just that when you transfer them they become more valuable when used for travel.

Message 5 of 17
New Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

Are there two different categories of UR points - one strictly for cash back earned from CFU and one for cash back or travel earned from CSR? Or are the UR points all the same?

Either way I understand the earning structure better and the complimentary nature of the 2 cards.

Thank you!

ZC
Message 6 of 17
Moderator

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?


ZeroChance wrote:
Are there two different categories of UR points - one strictly for cash back earned from CFU and one for cash back or travel earned from CSR? Or are the UR points all the same?

Either way I understand the earning structure better and the complimentary nature of the 2 cards.

Thank you!

ZC

No, not really two categories.  What changes is how you redeem them, either as cash back or travel.

Message 7 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?


ZeroChance wrote:
Are there two different categories of UR points - one strictly for cash back earned from CFU and one for cash back or travel earned from CSR? Or are the UR points all the same?

Either way I understand the earning structure better and the complimentary nature of the 2 cards.

Thank you!

ZC

No, there is only UR points.

 

Freedom and FU earn UR points that can only be redeemed for 'cash back'. CSP/CSR earn UR points that can be redeemed for 'cash back', travel or transfer to partners.

 

Chase say Freedom and FU are 'cash back' cards, because you can transfer the UR points to travel.

 

You can trasnfer your UR points from Freedom/FU to CSP/CSR to have more value for travel. Even a spouse can transfer the UR points from own cards to spouse if you need to.

Message 8 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?

Yeah the confusion you had is that Freedom Unlimited technically earns 1.5 ultimate rewards points per dollar, but without a Sapphire or Ink Plus/Business Preferred those points can only be redeemed for cash.

If you also have say, a Sapphire Reserve, they can be moved to the Reserve's UR account and redeemed externally as well (and for a much higher value than just 1 cent per point).
Message 9 of 17
New Contributor

Re: Chase CSR & Freedom Unlimited - Complimentary Cards?


wanderingbuilder wrote:
Yeah the confusion you had is that Freedom Unlimited technically earns 1.5 ultimate rewards points per dollar, but without a Sapphire or Ink Plus/Business Preferred those points can only be redeemed for cash.

If you also have say, a Sapphire Reserve, they can be moved to the Reserve's UR account and redeemed externally as well (and for a much higher value than just 1 cent per point).

GOT IT!!!

 

Thank you!

 

ZC

Message 10 of 17