Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Card - $450.00 Annual Fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Card - $450.00 Annual Fee

I have a question - I have a Chase card with a current balance but my $450.00 annual fee goes into effect tomorrow.  Can I cancel the account while there is still a balance so that I dont get that charge?  Will I still be able to make payments to the card or will I have to pay it in full?  I am not sure that I will use it enough to justify the $450.00 fee. 

What do you think??

Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Card - $450.00 Annual Fee

Yes, you should be able to cancel and pay off the balance without being charged an annual fee. I'm assuming it is the Chase Sappahir Reserve. It's an amazing credit card, but you have to know how to use the points and not carry a balance for it to make sense
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a nice article and some examples from the comments section about success in getting the fees waived for various cards.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/waive-card-annual-fee/

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is a nice article and some examples from the comments section about success in getting the fees waived for various cards.

While there certainly are opportunities to get AFs waived on certain cards, it's not going to happen on the CSR (or pretty much any high end travel card).  The cards give far too many beneifts like $300 travel credits for Chase to waive the AF.  

Message 4 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

FYI typically issuers give you 30 days after the AF posts to cancel the card and get a refund.

Message 5 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

As an option to closing it, you could possibly product-change it into a lower-fee Chase Sapphire Preferred or a no-fee Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card.

Message 6 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While there certainly are opportunities to get AFs waived on certain cards, it's not going to happen on the CSR (or pretty much any high end travel card).  The cards give far too many beneifts like $300 travel credits for Chase to waive the AF.  

FT reports some good Platinum retention offers, even with <$10k spend.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what I did....no annual fee on the other card.  It was great for the year with the bonus - but 450.00 is a lot over a year....i dont really utilize the card to maximize the points....I did what I felt was right to me....happy to save $450 in the nick of time!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.