Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Cards

tag
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Chase Cards

Hey,

What are the differences between the Chase Platinum Visa and the Chase Freedom?

Can you have 2 cards from Chase and what would be the other Chase card that I should try for in 6 months?

Thanks,
Bobby
Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Cards

I would go for the Freedom if you can get it. I'm all in favor of cards that pay me back, as opposed to cards that try to make me feel grateful for participating. Chase Freedom will pay you 1% on everything, plus an additional 2% (= 3% ) on your top three categories each month.

Read carefully through the site to find the gimmicks, of which there are many, including caps on the rewards. But I'm thinking that this is a much more useful card than the straight Visa. Always remember to make credit work for you, rather than vice versa.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might consider a conversion after my Chase Platinum Visa has aged a bit and the CL has gone up.

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 06-07-2008 07:58 AM
Message 3 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I just got approved for the freedom card, though I haven't received it.  I tried reading the T&C for catches and I couldnt find many.  The cap is $600 a month.  I tried to imagine how I could spend $600 in a month on the very specific categories and couldnt make it happen.  For big spenders with their fancy salaries, this might be an issue, though.  Smiley Very Happy

There isn't a certain spending amount above which these rates apply that I found.  If there is please let me know before I waste my time with this card.  Ex: on my AMEX I have to spend $6500 annually before I get the 5% on bonus categories.  And on the discover its $1500, which is much easier, but still annoying. 

I like the chase card, because I can keep using my AMEX and if I ever use the chase card, I'll get the max cashback without having to worry that I won't be able to put ridiculous amounts through the card this year.

So unless there's something I missed on the site, the Freedom card has an excellent rewards program.  And the 3 bonus categories are always the three that you used the most, not preset like the other CCCs.

IMO, go for it.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@thrasher865 wrote:

....Ex: on my AMEX I have to spend $6500 annually before I get the 5% on bonus categories. And on the discover its $1500, which is much easier, but still annoying.

I like the chase card, because I can keep using my AMEX and if I ever use the chase card, I'll get the max cashback without having to worry that I won't be able to put ridiculous amounts through the card this year.

Did you know that you can swap your Blue Cash for other AmEx "revolvers"? So if you plan (or hope) to travel, Blue Sky might work better, or if you want to get into the points war, you might like a straight Blue.

I know there's a starving college student somewhere who can make Blue Cash work, but unless there's a school that lets you pay tuition with AmEx, I don't see how! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I think Amex is gonna get friendly with my socks while chase or discover are new #1

Message 6 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
but unless there's a school that lets you pay tuition with AmEx, I don't see how! Smiley Very Happy

I wonder.....

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@thrasher865 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
but unless there's a school that lets you pay tuition with AmEx, I don't see how! Smiley Very Happy

I wonder.....
The Big Arnj doesn't; I tried. Smiley Sad

@BobbyJ wrote:

Hey,

What are the differences between the Chase Platinum Visa and the Chase Freedom?

Can you have 2 cards from Chase and what would be the other Chase card that I should try for in 6 months?

Thanks,
Bobby

Hi, OP, so sorry, have we lost you? I'm the world's worst threadjacker, and I'm supposed to be setting an example or something. Smiley Tongue

Have you checked out either card yet? Chase Freedom is on my list, but it's an EQ puller in my area, and I can't have any more EQ inqs for now. But I think that if you could get it instead of the straight Visa, it will wind up being a better card in the long run, especially when combined with another rewards card where you can assign certain cards to different categories.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.