tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Charge Off

@n777ua wrote:

Correction - BK7; not charge off.

@sjt wrote:

@n777ua wrote:

Friend of mine had $13750 charged off in 1995 - he has never been able to re-establish with them.  Last try a couple of years ago, he was told if he repaid the $13750, he "may" be able to open a credit account.  He declined.

Im suprised Chase did not sell the account to a JDB.

Not certain that they are even allowed to suggest she pay back a debt that was included in BK. They certainly can deny her a card though.

Message 21 of 29
blondy250
Established Contributor

Wow, who would have thought a bank won't issue you new credit when you burned  them in the past, crazy.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 22 of 29
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

Wow, who would have thought a bank won't issue you new credit when you burned  them in the past, crazy.

LOL blondy250....btw, your Fico scores are incredible! My discover TU is only 780. Hopefully someday I can break 800

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 23 of 29
sjt
Senior Contributor

@H4LO wrote:

@bizzyballa31 wrote:

Wow those timeframes are remarkable.  At what point does it become overkill?  15 years is a lifetime.  Its Amex just as bad? 

I'm a little confused here... 

Nothing is overkill.

You took their money, used it, bought whatever you did buy and burned them. A debt is a debt, it's as simple as that.

I tend to agree with your sentiment but if Chase (or any other bank) sold the account to a JDB there is really no recourse in trying to pay them back and having it noted that it was paid back.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 24 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@H4LO wrote:

@bizzyballa31 wrote:

Wow those timeframes are remarkable.  At what point does it become overkill?  15 years is a lifetime.  Its Amex just as bad? 

Nothing is overkill.

You took their money, used it, bought whatever you did buy and burned them. A debt is a debt, it's as simple as that.

I tend to agree with your sentiment but if Chase (or any other bank) sold the account to a JDB there is really no recourse in trying to pay them back and having it noted that it was paid back.

Banks are paid cents for each dollar owed when the debt is sold to collection companies. And it doesn't change the fact that the customer did burn them.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 29
sjt
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Banks are paid cents for each dollar owed when the debt is sold to collection companies. And it doesn't change the fact that the customer did burn them.

I agree, but my point is once a debt was sold to a JDB there is no way to pay them back and have the payment reflected in their records.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 26 of 29
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I agree, but my point is once a debt was sold to a JDB there is no way to pay them back and have the payment reflected in their records.

Are you sure about that?  For some reason Amex instantly came to mind.

Message 27 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@H4LO wrote:

@bizzyballa31 wrote:

Nothing is overkill.

Right, but banks aren't there for moral lessons, they want to make a profit.   So it's at least conceivable that a bank COULD say:

"Yes, BadPast burned us for $2101 in 1997.   But since then, no incidents on his CR, he has lots of high limit cards, reports a high income.  If we can get him to use our card, we could make some money"

Or it may be that their evidence shows that once someone burns them, the chance of profitibility is too low, or it maybe easier just to have hard rules.  But it doesn't mean that the denial necessarily makes the best financial sense

Message 28 of 29
compassion101
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@H4LO wrote:

@bizzyballa31 wrote:

Nothing is overkill.

Right, but banks aren't there for moral lessons, they want to make a profit.   So it's at least conceivable that a bank COULD say:

"Yes, BadPast burned us for $2101 in 1997.   But since then, no incidents on his CR, he has lots of high limit cards, reports a high income.  If we can get him to use our card, we could make some money"

Or it may be that their evidence shows that once someone burns them, the chance of profitibility is too low, or it maybe easier just to have hard rules.  But it doesn't mean that the denial necessarily makes the best financial sense

I think there is another business reason, though. The fact that someone who is thinking about burning a company whether through a charge-off, BK, etc, is certainly gonna think one way about burning capone/discover etc that might let them back in 5 years down the road and instead think twice about a company that has a reputation to never forget like chase/citi/amex.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.