Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Checking HP?

tag
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Checking HP?

When I went to open mine up online with the coupon, it says they do a credit inquiry through Equifax. Not sure if it's different if you do it by other methods. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 11 of 33
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 12 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Mailak wrote:

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.

That's just an example of a bank being an ass just because they can.  I will never understand the policies some banks have, Chexsystems should be sufficient.

I guess I'm wrong on the national banks things, but even BOFA never HP'd me with the checking accounts I've opened with them in 3 different states; however, the last one was 7ish years ago and they may have changed... especially if others are doing it.  Lame in the extreme.

        
Message 13 of 33
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

That's just an example of a bank being an ass just because they can.  I will never understand the policies some banks have, Chexsystems should be sufficient.

I guess I'm wrong on the national banks things, but even BOFA never HP'd me with the checking accounts I've opened with them in 3 different states; however, the last one was 7ish years ago and they may have changed... especially if others are doing it.  Lame in the extreme.

I'm with you on that one. I'm pretty upset about it. If anybody's credit needs to be checked when I'm depositing money, it's the big banks' credit. I'm pretty sure they will need rescuing before I do.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 14 of 33
MrShush
Valued Contributor

They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

Smiley Tongue
Message 15 of 33
logan_720
Established Contributor

I've onlyl ever heard of them soft pulling and having pre approved offers come up. I'll have to check this out on Monday and see.

Message 16 of 33
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@MrShush wrote:
They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

Smiley Tongue

Haha, didn't quite think of it that way.

Okay, do a soft pull. But no, you have them with your reams of terms and conditions and can feign a supposed business need, so might as well do an HP. That's just despicable behavior. I'm sorry... it just makes me mad when I think about it.

Message 17 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Mailak wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Smiley Tongue

Okay, do a soft pull. But no, you have them with your reams of terms and conditions and can feign a supposed business need, so might as well do an HP. That's just despicable behavior. I'm sorry... it just makes me mad when I think about it.

Still strikes me as suspect.  Don't know, I'm 99% positive of taking my first new paycheck and opening a Chase checking account with it, regardless of possibly inquiry or not.  I'll see first hand if there was an inquiry but I don't think they can legally do a HP without disclosing that fact these days.  

        
Message 18 of 33
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Smiley Tongue

Still strikes me as suspect.  Don't know, I'm 99% positive of taking my first new paycheck and opening a Chase checking account with it, regardless of possibly inquiry or not.  I'll see first hand if there was an inquiry but I don't think they can legally do a HP without disclosing that fact these days.  

See post #7

Message 19 of 33
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

BB&T does a hard pull on one of the big three in addition to Chexsystems when opening a checking account.  They do not, however (as far as I can tell) pull hard for a savings account.  They are probably one of the better "big banks" out there, although they're not nationwide.  I know SunTrust does a hard pull for a checking account as well.  I think both pulled Experian, but I'm not 100% positive.  I do not know if they do a hard pull for a savings account, since my relationship with them lasted only about a week before I pulled my money out and suggested they go do something vulgar to themselves.

For a short while I dealt with KEMBA Credit Union in Ohio, and they did a hard pull for every little thing.  New member?  Hard pull.  Checking account?  Hard pull.  Add a savings account?  Hard pull.  It got to the point where I figured any time I pick up the phone to talk to them they'd be yanking hard on a credit report and I got tired of dealing with it.  I believe most CU's are that way.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.