Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Checking HP?

tag
logan_720
Established Contributor

Chase Checking HP?

So I recently came across a coupon to recieve $150 after opening a new Chase Checking account. At first I was ready to go in and open a new account, while still leaving my CU account open. I was wondering though, does Chase do a HP of your credit if you open a savings/checking account with them? If so, then forget it..

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Checking HP?

I opened my Chase account in 2009, I don't remember for sure but I believe they did a HP not to mention an inquiry on our wonderful friend ChexSystems...lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 33
logan_720
Established Contributor

Well I may go into a branch when I have time, and see if they can open it without a HP. I don't see why they would need to...

Message 3 of 33
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

Well I may go into a branch when I have time, and see if they can open it without a HP. I don't see why they would need to...

Employees are not always correct with this question. I do not see why any bank or credit union needs to to open an account but they do. I do not think it is a hard pull though. I opened one in 2010 and it was not on my reports when I looked earlier. I just opened one today so tomorrow I will check creditkarma and request an updated Experian report to see if they did. I already have two credit cards with them though so my identity is already known.

Message 4 of 33
qc-ttns
Established Member

Just got a checkings and savings about 5 months ago no HP. And got 150 Smiley Happy my wife opend a account as well she got a 200 dollar coupon.. Can't wait to app for a freedom and get another 100 bucks.....

Starting Score: 579
Current Score: 713
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 33
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

They check chexsystems. Its to prevent money laundering and terrorism. they need to check this along with social and DL 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 6 of 33
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Go into a branch, look at the bankers' desks for signage. You should see at least FDIC, OFAC/Patriot Act, and if they check a credit bureau, a sign for whomever they pull...compliance my friends.
Message 7 of 33
FrugalRican
Blogger

They didn't do a HP on me. And I've gotten/received the $150 offer TWICE. You can do one per year.

But every bank does check ChexSystems/Qualifile.

They want to see if you have any past delinquencies with any other previous financial institutions.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 33
TM82
Regular Contributor

No hard pull, just a run through Chex. Those tht report that they received a hard pull either a) knowingly or unknowingly had a banker who applied for a cc at the same time or b) opened an account a few years ago when Chase still offered an overdraft line of credit (they haven't offered them since 2009.)
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 9 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@logan_720 wrote:

Chase and the other national banks do not.

Credit Unions typically do because they're member owned: namely, they're only as strong as the members they have, and if you're a complete deadbeat, that just drags the membership pool down.  Whether they really should or not, I don't know: they can always do a pull for any sort of credit application; however, they all (or most) seem to do it for membership.  I don't see why they'd be remiss to let nearly anyone to put money into a share account, in fact I would think they encourage it but my EQ report shows a bunch of HP's from CU membership apps.

On the otherhand my wayward application to PSECU (didn't read the fine print, oopsie) resulted in a soft inquiry on EX, so maybe things are changing somewhat.

        
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.