Reply
Regular Contributor
Eschaton
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎02-08-2012
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

When I went to open mine up online with the coupon, it says they do a credit inquiry through Equifax. Not sure if it's different if you do it by other methods. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) | Chase Freedom (03/2012) | American Express Zync (03/2012)

Gardening since 03/2012
Experian score: 752 (6/2014)
Frequent Contributor
Mailak
Posts: 422
Registered: ‎04-26-2012
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (18k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (14k), Discover More (10k), Macy's (700).
Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 9,751
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?


Mailak wrote:

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.


That's just an example of a bank being an ass just because they can.  I will never understand the policies some banks have, Chexsystems should be sufficient.

 

I guess I'm wrong on the national banks things, but even BOFA never HP'd me with the checking accounts I've opened with them in 3 different states; however, the last one was 7ish years ago and they may have changed... especially if others are doing it.  Lame in the extreme.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Mailak
Posts: 422
Registered: ‎04-26-2012
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

[ Edited ]

Revelate wrote:

Mailak wrote:

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.


That's just an example of a bank being an ass just because they can.  I will never understand the policies some banks have, Chexsystems should be sufficient.

 

I guess I'm wrong on the national banks things, but even BOFA never HP'd me with the checking accounts I've opened with them in 3 different states; however, the last one was 7ish years ago and they may have changed... especially if others are doing it.  Lame in the extreme.



I'm with you on that one. I'm pretty upset about it. If anybody's credit needs to be checked when I'm depositing money, it's the big banks' credit. I'm pretty sure they will need rescuing before I do.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (18k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (14k), Discover More (10k), Macy's (700).
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

:smileytongue:
Established Contributor
logan_720
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎02-02-2012
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

I've onlyl ever heard of them soft pulling and having pre approved offers come up. I'll have to check this out on Monday and see.

Frequent Contributor
Mailak
Posts: 422
Registered: ‎04-26-2012
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?


MrShush wrote:
They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

:smileytongue:

Haha, didn't quite think of it that way.

 

Okay, do a soft pull. But no, you have them with your reams of terms and conditions and can feign a supposed business need, so might as well do an HP. That's just despicable behavior. I'm sorry... it just makes me mad when I think about it.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (18k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (14k), Discover More (10k), Macy's (700).
Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 9,751
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?


Mailak wrote:

MrShush wrote:
They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

:smileytongue:

Haha, didn't quite think of it that way.

 

Okay, do a soft pull. But no, you have them with your reams of terms and conditions and can feign a supposed business need, so might as well do an HP. That's just despicable behavior. I'm sorry... it just makes me mad when I think about it.



Still strikes me as suspect.  Don't know, I'm 99% positive of taking my first new paycheck and opening a Chase checking account with it, regardless of possibly inquiry or not.  I'll see first hand if there was an inquiry but I don't think they can legally do a HP without disclosing that fact these days.  

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
MrShush
Posts: 1,412
Registered: ‎04-18-2008
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?


Revelate wrote:

Mailak wrote:

MrShush wrote:
They hard pull so they can cross sell products like credit cards and personal/overdraft lines of credit. (duh)

:smileytongue:

Haha, didn't quite think of it that way.

 

Okay, do a soft pull. But no, you have them with your reams of terms and conditions and can feign a supposed business need, so might as well do an HP. That's just despicable behavior. I'm sorry... it just makes me mad when I think about it.



Still strikes me as suspect.  Don't know, I'm 99% positive of taking my first new paycheck and opening a Chase checking account with it, regardless of possibly inquiry or not.  I'll see first hand if there was an inquiry but I don't think they can legally do a HP without disclosing that fact these days.  


See post #7

Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 355
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Chase Checking HP?

[ Edited ]

Revelate wrote:

Mailak wrote:

Wachovia did an HP on TU for me when I was opening accounts last year. It's now listed as Wachovia/Wells Fargo.


That's just an example of a bank being an ass just because they can.  I will never understand the policies some banks have, Chexsystems should be sufficient.

 

I guess I'm wrong on the national banks things, but even BOFA never HP'd me with the checking accounts I've opened with them in 3 different states; however, the last one was 7ish years ago and they may have changed... especially if others are doing it.  Lame in the extreme.


BB&T does a hard pull on one of the big three in addition to Chexsystems when opening a checking account.  They do not, however (as far as I can tell) pull hard for a savings account.  They are probably one of the better "big banks" out there, although they're not nationwide.  I know SunTrust does a hard pull for a checking account as well.  I think both pulled Experian, but I'm not 100% positive.  I do not know if they do a hard pull for a savings account, since my relationship with them lasted only about a week before I pulled my money out and suggested they go do something vulgar to themselves.

 

For a short while I dealt with KEMBA Credit Union in Ohio, and they did a hard pull for every little thing.  New member?  Hard pull.  Checking account?  Hard pull.  Add a savings account?  Hard pull.  It got to the point where I figured any time I pick up the phone to talk to them they'd be yanking hard on a credit report and I got tired of dealing with it.  I believe most CU's are that way.

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}