Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Closed my account (then reopened it!!) Update

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Chase Closed my account (then reopened it!!) Update

So, I'm at the store, and my card gets declined, which I thought was real odd since I had just paid my statement balance which was due on 4/5/12.  So after I leave the store, I call customer service, and I found out that my account was closed...  Wow.  

I had just paid off my Chase Auto loan one year early which was for 36 months...  I've had Chase Student Loans since 2007. I had a Chase Freedom in 2008... I've had about 4 other Chase auto loans in my lifetime.     Chase really made me aggravated by closing my account.

I did refinance my truck through NFCU, and the new account is posting without the old account showing as closed. Would that have done it?    My Discover also posted a large balance since I just bought a cruise with it.  The statement balance was 3k,  and I paid it down to $1200 already, which brings my discover balance to $1200.  My Discover account is on a 6 month 2.9% APR promotion right now which I was offered in January. When I refinanced the truck, NFCU offered me their Visa, so I'm glad I took since obviously chase doesn't want my business anymore.   The amount that I charged in the first Chase statement cycle was $1425, which I attempted to pay in full on 3/30 but the payment didn't go through due to a typo in entering my bank account info. So I noticed the payment didn't go through, and I checked on it on the 5th, and re-typed the info, and it went through with no issues.  

Anyways, if Chase wants to close the account that's fine, but why give me an account if you don't want me using it?  Anyways I'm getting married in May, and the charges on my Chase card were for the wedding. Our family income is around 180k annually, and I just received my bonus in the amount of 16k, so its not like i'm charging things that we can't afford to pay cash for.   My amex statement closed on the 6th so I paid in Full on the 7th in the amount of $2953... 

For those of you who are wondering, I put a lot of business expenses through my CC accounts (travel, supplies, etc.) which are reimbursed. I just bought a house, so I've been running things through the cards for the house as well.

Anyways Smiley Happy  Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations, if Chase doesn't want me, its their loss, Amex is more than happy to benefit from my transaction fees!  

Update!  My account has been restored,  the customer service rep asked my income when I called at 9 am this morning... thanks everyone for the suggestions and support....   Smiley Happy  Love this forum! 

Lessons Learned: 

1. Always push payments first to make sure they go through.

2. Double Check your account info you enter when paying a bill, especially if this is the first time you're using the account to pay that bill.

3. If a payment doesn't show up in your checking account, double check to see that it was made properly!! If I hadn't done this I would have had to pay late payment fees.

4. Always pay your bills on time and pay more than the minimum due...  I think if i had made only the minimum, instead of the entire statement balance I would have had less of a positive standing in their eyes.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Closed my account *arrgh*

I'm really becoming disillusioned with Chase.

Was a CSR able to give you a reasonable answer why?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@drkaje wrote:

I'm really becoming disillusioned with Chase.

Was a CSR able to give you a reasonable answer why?

The CSR was not able to access the reasoning...  He gave me a number to call on M-F 8am-5pm

I'm dissillusioned as well...  I've been banking with them since 1999-2000ish when they bought Bank One. However, I just switched my regular checking to IBC since that's where my fiance banks and the branch is close to our house.    My sister, mom, and dad all have Chase Freedom with 5 digit limits...  what's Chase's deal?

FICO 9:

Message 3 of 70
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

I would definitely call the backdoor and figure out what happened. Something just doesn't seem right. Was the payment late on a new account or something? Could there be a fraud issue?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@crunching_numbers wrote:

I would definitely call the backdoor and figure out what happened. Something just doesn't seem right. Was the payment late on a new account or something? Could there be a fraud issue?

The payment was due on 4/5/12, so the payment wasn't late at all. Its just that my earlier payment on 3/30 didn't go through properly because of a typo. I typically pay bills about a week or two before they are due. For example, discover is due on 4/21, and it was paid way early.

It may be triggered for fraud, because I am traveling this weekend.   I did open up Amex and Chase  in the same month... Maybe chase doesn't like me being in bed with Amex LOL,  they think I'm cheating Smiley Wink  

Also, they may think that I bought a new vehicle instead of refinancing the old truck loan I had with Tulsa Federal CU.

I've gone a long time with Discover being my only CC account, and if I had to go back to that I would, but still, closing with no warning seems very coldish

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

So, I'm at the store, and my card gets declined, which I thought was real odd since I had just paid my statement balance which was due on 4/5/12.  So after I leave the store, I call customer service, and I found out that my account was closed...  Wow.  

I had just paid off my Chase Auto loan one year early which was for 36 months...  I've had Chase Student Loans since 2007. I had a Chase Freedom in 2008... I've had about 4 other Chase auto loans in my lifetime.     Chase really made me aggravated by closing my account.

I did refinance my truck through NFCU, and the new account is posting without the old account showing as closed. Would that have done it?    My Discover also posted a large balance since I just bought a cruise with it.  The statement balance was 3k,  and I paid it down to $1200 already, which brings my discover balance to $1200.  My Discover account is on a 6 month 2.9% APR promotion right now which I was offered in January. When I refinanced the truck, NFCU offered me their Visa, so I'm glad I took since obviously chase doesn't want my business anymore.   The amount that I charged in the first Chase statement cycle was $1425, which I attempted to pay in full on 3/30 but the payment didn't go through due to a typo in entering my bank account info. So I noticed the payment didn't go through, and I checked on it on the 5th, and re-typed the info, and it went through with no issues.  

Anyways, if Chase wants to close the account that's fine, but why give me an account if you don't want me using it?  Anyways I'm getting married in May, and the charges on my Chase card were for the wedding. Our family income is around 180k annually, and I just received my bonus in the amount of 16k, so its not like i'm charging things that we can't afford to pay cash for.   My amex statement closed on the 6th so I paid in Full on the 7th in the amount of $2953... 

For those of you who are wondering, I put a lot of business expenses through my CC accounts (travel, supplies, etc.) which are reimbursed. I just bought a house, so I've been running things through the cards for the house as well.

Anyways Smiley Happy  Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations, if Chase doesn't want me, its their loss, Amex is more than happy to benefit from my transaction fees!  

Why did they say they closed it on the phone?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

The CSR I talked to didn't give me a reason.   He said I would have to call a different number to get the reason, cause he doesn't have access to that.    May have been due to high util%  reporting this month...   who knows.

FICO 9:

Message 7 of 70
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

So you bounced your first payment on the new Chase card?

I understand from your point of view that's not what happened -- but to the risk management computers that's the deal.

You might have good luck calling on Monday and explaining what happened. An underwriter could probably override. You are probably going to say you already explained to a rep that promised to note in the account it was a typo, but those notes don't come into play until a human reads them. The automated risk software still flagged you.
Message 8 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

The CSR I talked to didn't give me a reason.   He said I would have to call a different number to get the reason, cause he doesn't have access to that.    May have been due to high util%  reporting this month...   who knows.

Sorry to hear Smiley Sad

Im already paranoid about card usage now my brain is really thinking Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@bostonte wrote:
So you bounced your first payment on the new Chase card?

I understand from your point of view that's not what happened -- but to the risk management computers that's the deal.

You might have good luck calling on Monday and explaining what happened. An underwriter could probably override. You are probably going to say you already explained to a rep that promised to note in the account it was a typo, but those notes don't come into play until a human reads them. The automated risk software still flagged you.

Possible...  who knows. I sent a message to the secure message center, and got the following response:

Dear XXX (me),

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

In order to better assist you, I have forwarded your request to the appropriate department for review. You will receive a response to your e-mail within seven days. If you require immediate assistance, please contact
1-877-882-1890 and one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.
If you have any further questions, please reply using the Secure Message Center.

Email Customer Service Representative
1-800-436-7927
Account is owned by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and may be serviced by its affiliates.

FICO 9:

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.