Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Closed my account (then reopened it!!) Update

tag
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Closed my account (then reopened it!!) Update

@webhopper wrote:

Update!  My account has been restored,  the customer service rep asked my income when I called at 9 am this morning... thanks everyone for the suggestions and support....   Man LOL  Love this forum! 

Lessons Learned: 

1. Always push payments first to make sure they go through.

2. Double Check your account info you enter when paying a bill, especially if this is the first time you're using the account to pay that bill.

3. If a payment doesn't show up in your checking account, double check to see that it was made properly!! If I hadn't done this I would have had to pay late payment fees.

4. Always pay your bills on time and pay more than the minimum due...  I think if i had made only the minimum, instead of the entire statement balance I would have had less of a positive standing in their eyes. 

YAY!!  I'm glad they re-opened it for you!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 61 of 70
Open123
Super Contributor

Glad they sorted it out for you. 

I find a relationship with Chase to be a very valuable one, if only to let AmEx know one has other options. 

Message 62 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Ya I was quite happy to see that they had removed the statement that says my account was closed. I was a bit deflated when I discovered it was closed, but then I hadn't had a new card in such a long time I didn't realize there was a probation period Smiley Sad

Now I do, and will be much more careful in the future and possibly not use my card in the first month if I ever get another card
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 63 of 70
jdogi
Contributor

@JaysonT wrote:

@jdogi wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Update!  My account has been restored,  the customer service rep asked my income when I called at 9 am this morning... thanks everyone for the suggestions and support....   Man LOL  Love this forum! 

Hmm, they had the nerve to ask your income?  IMHO, they should have done absolutely nothing except open your account and appologize profusely.  Oh, and after that, they should have apologized some more.

-Josh

I don't see anything to apologize for.

And I don't see it your way.  I expect better from my bank than simply closing the account when something like this happens.  Especially a bank with whom I've had a long relationship.  How about suspending the account and at least attempting to contact the card-holder?  Is that really too much to ask these days?

IMHO, it is not acceptable to just close this account and basically say...well, we'll just close it and if they really want to keep it, the customer will find out when he/she next tries to buy dinner for some clients/friends or tries to pay for their hotel room...at that point the customer will call us (pissed off or in a panic), and if it happens to be between 8 and 4, they might reach someone who might be able to determine what happened and might be willing to do the card-holder the favor of reversing the account closure.

Imagine if webhopper wasnt aware of the most likely cause for the closure.  He/she would probably still be wasting time talking to clueless CSRs trying to get the account opened back up.

I wonder if they treat their Sapphire Preferred customer like this as well.  I doubt it, but I dont think I want to find out the hard way.

webhopper, my apologies for any threadjacking. I am happy that they straightened this out for you.  I don't remember, did you mention how many days passed between the failed ECH payment and your card rejection?  Did chase have an accurate phone number/email address on file for you?  You did say that they never attempted to contact you, right?

Message 64 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

They did have my number and email address on file. I did get a call on thursday that I couldn't take cause I was in a meeting. The number showed up as "unknown number"

The failed payment happened 3/30. The payment due date was 4/5. I paid over 1400 on 4/5 after I realized the typo. The account was closed 4/6 after account review.

I live a very mobile and connected life, they could have contacted me by either phone or by text or by email. Discover does when they want to make sure its actually me checking into the Hilton lol. They don't decline my card at point of sale only for me to call and find out the account is closed. When I call they treat me like VIP and thank me for being a customer since 99

Chase lost points with me on this deal for sure. I've been spoiled by discover so I didn't really know how to take this.
FICO 9:

Message 65 of 70
jdogi
Contributor

Funny, I was going to mention Discover as an example of a card/bank that has consistently provided me great service.  Every time I talk to them, I'm actually happier after the call.  It is nice to be teated at least like a human, if not a VIP, by a bank CSR.  AMEX has also been good (in teh they treat me like a human sorta way), but not as friendly/neighbourly as the Discover reps.  AMEX always gets the job done, but I with Discover I hang up thinking..."wow, what a nice call that was with my friendly credit card CSR"

so +1 to the Discover props.

Again, I'm glad everything worked out for you.  I'd get on the phone with Discover and/or Amex and tell them that you'd like some CLIs so that you can sockdrawer your Chase card.  Be sure to tell them how much you love the way they treat their customers...maybe that will help.

Message 66 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I totally plan on sock drawering the chase card. One time I was on the phone with my friendly discover rep just cause we started having a real conversation. I was on the phone with her for an hour chatting about school work, differences in geographic regions, its funny you mention feeling happier after you call. I feel the sane way lol. I think I called for an apr decrease, she gave me 6 months at 2.9% perfect for using discovers travel service to book a cruise and pay itoff before the wedding, which is may 26.
FICO 9:

Message 67 of 70
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I plan on using chase just for amazon purchases, which represent only a small portion of my spending.
FICO 9:

Message 68 of 70
jdogi
Contributor

Ha, that CSR probably ended the call with the same thought..."Wow, what a nice customer i just got to talk to." ;-)

Cheers and congrats, on everything. 

Message 69 of 70
nick125
Valued Member

@webhopper wrote:
I totally plan on sock drawering the chase card. One time I was on the phone with my friendly discover rep just cause we started having a real conversation. I was on the phone with her for an hour chatting about school work, differences in geographic regions, its funny you mention feeling happier after you call. I feel the sane way lol. I think I called for an apr decrease, she gave me 6 months at 2.9% perfect for using discovers travel service to book a cruise and pay itoff before the wedding, which is may 26.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to app for a Discover card...no, must not app...

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.