Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Closing my Accounts

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Closing my Accounts

@longtimelurker wrote:

SInce the entity (Chase say) can, if they choose, see your entire relationship across cards, there is a potential risk.   Now with small amounts the risk is small, but so is the benefit, so ,as usual, it's up to your comfort level.

+1

Given the value of Chase & Amex in the travel rewards arena, those are the two with whom I'd be most reticent to push the envelope.  While Amex will initiate an FR, Chase will simply unilaterally close all of your accounts, and without any recourse on your part.  With Chase, there is no resusciation from accounts closed because of perk abuse.

Message 71 of 77
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:
If you were going to buy gift cards to help make your spend I would suggest buying them at a supermarket because it would appear as a grocery purchase. I wouldn't spend 1k at one time at the grocery store. Nor would I suggest making this a regular thing after you make your sign up bonus. That would definitely be MS I think most banks once you get caught doing that you will never get a card from them again and rightfully so.

Every supermaket or drugstore around me requires cash and refuses to take CCs or Debit cards (even with a pin) for Visa/MC/Amex GCs.  This stops all MS in its tracks. 

Its opposite for me here i have few supermarkets that have and will sell me vgc on cc. My problem is i can't find any gas stations that will do the same. A few places i have gone to for VR and they say cash only . Haven't found any that sell vgc over 50 dollars or any gift cards at all over 50

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 72 of 77
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

With all this talk about chase closing accounts I am wondering if its too risky to fund my amex serve via CSP card and pay off my auto loan which is thru chase? Do you think that would be cause for them to shut me down?

So long as you don't pay your CSP with Serve Bill Pay, it's fine.  If you don't use the CSP to load, then paying it with Serve Bill Pay is fine.  Just don't *ever* use Serve to bill pay the CC used for loading.

hmm i never use serve to pay off credit card bills I just don't feel safe doing that. I was just going to use serve to pay electricity bill and auto loan payments that i can't regularly pay with credit card. Is that safe to do ?

This is fine.  It's fine to pay CCs with Serve bill pay, but just *not* the one you use to load.  

I would never pay with serve the card I used to load serve, but what about other cards with the same lender? For example, loading serve with my chase biz card and paying off my chase personal card? I've always avoided this since its the same lender, but it would be nice to move the balance off my credit report and would allow me to track reimbursements for business expenses that I had to put on my personal card for one reason or the other. 

If you load your serve with the CSP do you still get points or is it considered a cash advance?

Message 73 of 77
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

With all this talk about chase closing accounts I am wondering if its too risky to fund my amex serve via CSP card and pay off my auto loan which is thru chase? Do you think that would be cause for them to shut me down?

So long as you don't pay your CSP with Serve Bill Pay, it's fine.  If you don't use the CSP to load, then paying it with Serve Bill Pay is fine.  Just don't *ever* use Serve to bill pay the CC used for loading.

hmm i never use serve to pay off credit card bills I just don't feel safe doing that. I was just going to use serve to pay electricity bill and auto loan payments that i can't regularly pay with credit card. Is that safe to do ?

This is fine.  It's fine to pay CCs with Serve bill pay, but just *not* the one you use to load.  

I would never pay with serve the card I used to load serve, but what about other cards with the same lender? For example, loading serve with my chase biz card and paying off my chase personal card? I've always avoided this since its the same lender, but it would be nice to move the balance off my credit report and would allow me to track reimbursements for business expenses that I had to put on my personal card for one reason or the other. 

If you load your serve with the CSP do you still get points or is it considered a cash advance?

Every card except amex i believe counts its as purchase and yes on my chase activity it shows up as purchase. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 74 of 77
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:
If you were going to buy gift cards to help make your spend I would suggest buying them at a supermarket because it would appear as a grocery purchase. I wouldn't spend1k at one time at the grocery store. Nor would I suggest making this a regular thing after you make your sign up bonus. That would definitely be MS I think most banks once you get caught doing that you will never get a card from them again and rightfully so.

Every supermaket or drugstore around me requires cash and refuses to take CCs or Debit cards (even with a pin) for Visa/MC/Amex GCs.  This stops all MS in its tracks. 

Its opposite for me here i have few supermarkets that have and will sell me vgc on cc. My problem is i can't find any gas stations that will do the same. A few places i have gone to for VR and they say cash only . Haven't found any that sell vgc over 50 dollars or any gift cards at all over 5

Same here my local stop and shop allows you to pay for GC with credit cards I had to ask my DW because we do it so infrequently and I know she has in the past you just can't do it at self serve have to go ti CS.  Which makes sense because they have to input the amount onto the GC.  They dont sell VR nor would I buy them.

Message 75 of 77
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Let's keep this thread on topic and off of MS. 

~ Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 76 of 77
hiro905
Valued Member

How many Chase cards do you have and how long have they been open?  Whats your AAoA?

Message 77 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.