Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Co-Branded cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Co-Branded cards

It's not easy to get Penfed cards Smiley Sad. Most peope are not in or involving to military

Message 41 of 56
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not easy to get Penfed cards Smiley Sad. Most peope are not in or involving to military

You don't have to be affiliated with the military to join Penfed. It will cost you $20 to join. $5 for the savings account and a $15 donation.

You could join in 15 mins..the Penfed site will walk you through the membership process.

Message 42 of 56
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Yeah the Sam's is 5% on Gas and 3% on Dining and Travel. If I already didn't have a unlimited 5% gas card. I'd opt for the Sam's card myself.

I'm using a combination of AARP and Penfed Cash Rewards. Love that AARP card. lol Especially after seeing that $211 credit show up on the account today.

Is PenFed Cash Rewards also 5% cash back on gas, gmood? Nice. Smiley Happy

Yes that's really the only perk with the Penfed Cash rewards. The 5% cash back is automatically deducted from your monthly statement. That's besides it being no cap , no FTF and no AF.

Message 43 of 56
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The Sam's Club card trumps the AARP card however in terms of offering 5% cash back in gas and dining, versus only 3% for AARP.

Isn't there a cap on 5%...6k annually for gas?

Message 44 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget $200 sign-up bonus of AARP comparing to Sam's Club, and no annual fee versus Sam membership fee (that mean annual fee)

Yes, but $200 is tiny, at least to me. It may not be to some, and I definitely respect that. I'd take the 5% cash back over the 3% cash back, too.

The two are somewhat related.  3% + $200 > 5% until spend exceeds $10K

Message 45 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget $200 sign-up bonus of AARP comparing to Sam's Club, and no annual fee versus Sam membership fee (that mean annual fee)

Yes, but $200 is tiny, at least to me. It may not be to some, and I definitely respect that. I'd take the 5% cash back over the 3% cash back, too.

Actually I thought the concensus was no membership was required to maintain because you can cash the check in club, and also membership not required to shop,just a surcharge....

Message 46 of 56
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually I thought the concensus was no membership was required to maintain because you can cash the check in club, and also membership not required to shop,just a surcharge....

+1

That's the general consensus, although the wording on the website is a bit convoluted.  It says in one place that maintaining a membership is required, then in another place it goes so far as to tell you that you can get a 'day pass' to cash the check if your membership isn't current.  Even more interesting is that in places there are still references to the Sam's Club Discover card, which hasn't been around for a while now.

That being said, as someone who earns $30+ each month solely on his Sam's Club MasterCard, I'm probably going to let my own membership 'slide' for a bit when it expires in August.  I do use the membership itself enough to probably 'break even' (not counting the cash rewards from the credit card) but I would prefer to renew once there's an offer available on either Amex or Discover, which will probably not coincide exactly with my renewal date.

Message 47 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

That's the general consensus, although the wording on the website is a bit convoluted.  It says in one place that maintaining a membership is required, then in another place it goes so far as to tell you that you can get a 'day pass' to cash the check if your membership isn't current.  Even more interesting is that in places there are still references to the Sam's Club Discover card, which hasn't been around for a while now.

That being said, as someone who earns $30+ each month solely on his Sam's Club MasterCard, I'm probably going to let my own membership 'slide' for a bit when it expires in August.  I do use the membership itself enough to probably 'break even' (not counting the cash rewards from the credit card) but I would prefer to renew once there's an offer available on either Amex or Discover, which will probably not coincide exactly with my renewal date.

I would also let my membership slide too if I had the MC!  But...its pretty darn easy to groupon/livingsocial with a friend/S.O. and just alternate as primary/secondary

Message 48 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not in subsequent years. It's important to plan for the bigger picture. Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not in subsequent years. It's important to plan for the bigger picture. Smiley Happy

Why?   It is rarely the case that any particular card is "best" for a prolonged period of time.    Until total spend on dining reaches $10K, AARP returns more rewards.  Other cards may appear in subsequent years. 

But my point was more your "$200 is tiny" but giving importance to the 2% difference.   Unless spend is high, the big picture takes bonuses into account, as generally bonuses return much more in rewards than any regular spending.

Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.