Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Credit Card

I went into Chase branch today and wanted to see if i was pre-qualified for a crdit card and they said no.  They use Transunion and my score is 689 does anyone know what i have to do to get a chase credit card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Credit Card

I personally don't have a chase card, but have seen many posts where people who have chase cards mentioned they also bank with them.

Message 2 of 13
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

It has been about 5 years since I recieved my first Chase Credit Card.{Freedom}. If I remember they like Fico scores in the 700's and minimal  lates. I did not have an CO's or a bankruptcy in my file. I believe you can search The Forum  on Chase and find some responses. As always ymmv, good luck.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked through my score history. Chase gave me a card in July. My average Fico 8 score was 730 at that time. So, maybe just give it a few more months until your score goes up a little.

They also have a 5/24 rule.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chase%205%2F24%20rule

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I went into Chase branch today and wanted to see if i was pre-qualified for a crdit card and they said no.  They use Transunion and my score is 689 does anyone know what i have to do to get a chase credit card?

Welcome to the board.  How old is your credit file?  Also, what other cards do you have? 689 is a good score to get a Chase card. But without much info. about your credit file, it will be hard to answer the question you asked.

There is a reason why you are not pre-qualified. So give more info. and the answer lurking in there somehow.

Message 5 of 13
erdoganog
Valued Member

i would say low 700s  would be fine for approval or high 690s with no collections public records or any negative items also low inquires Chase is picky on inquires

Began 8/2015
Goal 10/2016 Garden

Message 6 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just because you are not pre-qualified does not mean you cannot apply for the card and get it. I'm not saying you will get the card, the score might be low as others have noted, but we don't know for sure without more information about what is in your overall credit file.

And only Chase can decide whether they want to issue you a card. The Pre-qualifications are nice to see, but not the limiting factor to getting a card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 13
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I made be the odd ball but I got my chase freedom last year with a credit score I think around 650ish. I do not bank with Chase and I had actually had more than 5 new credit cards in the last 2 years prior to applying. Not all of the credit cards were bank cards some were store cards or things like Care Credit so I am not sure if that made the difference in the 5/24 rule or not.

I can't say what Chase wants for credit score but I can debunk 2 things that have been said. You do not need high 600s or 700+ I got approved with a $4500 limit. You do not have to bank with Chase as up until recently I wasn't even in a state that had Chase bank as an option to bank with.

Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Aprile421 wrote:

I made be the odd ball but I got my chase freedom last year with a credit score I think around 650ish. I do not bank with Chase and I had actually had more than 5 new credit cards in the last 2 years prior to applying. Not all of the credit cards were bank cards some were store cards or things like Care Credit so I am not sure if that made the difference in the 5/24 rule or not.

I can't say what Chase wants for credit score but I can debunk 2 things that have been said. You do not need high 600s or 700+ I got approved with a $4500 limit. You do not have to bank with Chase as up until recently I wasn't even in a state that had Chase bank as an option to bank with.

FWIW the minimum UW on the Freedom was something like 640 as of mid 2012, sort of doubt there's been any major change to that as there really hasn't been any fundamnetal shifts in the market... if anything it's gotten looser, 5/24 or similar policies notwithstanding.

        
Message 9 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

i did get my freedom with a pretty bad ex fico i recall. Wasn't exactly the smartest move in my credit life. Even if you are border line you will get a pretty low CL and high apr. Its hard to get those to change without an HP. I am not sure if they will lower your apr but i don't hink they do . 

I guess moral of the story is try and get your scores a bit higher before going for a chase card , you don't want to be stuck with Card with low CL and high apr. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.