Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Credit Consolidation

Hello,

I am looking for some second opinions on the best way to tackle this. I have been playing the churning game for a few years and got a TON of rewards and it has been great. Now, however, managing all these cards is becoming more of a chore than the hobby that it once was. Where I would like to start this consolidation is with Chase, but only if I can keep all/most of my existing credit.

Cards in Question:

Chase Freedom - $23,100

Chase Sapphire Reserve - $25,900

The way I see it I have two options:

Option 1: When my Reserve annual fee is getting ready to hit in a few more months, I call Chase and ask to move my existing CSR credit over to my Freedom account and then cancel my CSR. 

• This will undoubtedly require a hard inquiry (Which I am OK with if it works...)
  • I am concerned that there is some hard limit Chase puts on their Freedom accounts and I will not be able to keep all or most of that $25,900 and waste a Hard Inquiry.

Option 2: I call and simply PC my Reserve to the Chase Freedom Unlimited to keep the credit limit (and the short AoA), but that still leaves me with an account I need to manage and feel that I need to spend on every few months. (I already charge my Netflix, Amazon, etc. to other accounts and have auto-payed as is a popular strategy)

So not to drag out my questions any longer:

-Has anyone had any luck with a higher than $24k limit on a Chasee Freedom account? I have read on other areas of the internet that people have found that to be more or less their "hard cap".

-Is there an option 3 that I have neglected to consider?

If needed, my Free TransUnion FICO Scores that they give you with some of these cards are sitting around 760-790. (Although when I just bought a house last month my 3 scores were Equifax 718, Experian 720, TransUnion 725 - not sure if mortgage companies do something differently?)

I also have about $33,000 worth of Credit Limits spread across 4 other cards/banks.

Thank you ahead of time for any feedback anyone might have to offer.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Credit Consolidation

I would go with option#1. Chase does NOT HP for a reallocation. Just send them a SM and ask them to move the CL and close the other card. You should be able to move at least $15900 to the other card initially
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As @fltireguy stated, there is no hardpull to combine and you should not have any problems at all.  I combined two of my cards bringing the limit to  65k on one card.  So you should be fine.

Message 3 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Also can PC to just a Sapphire as well with 0 AF from the CSR then PC back if you ever want to transfer points out..  Just another option(obviouly if you do that in a few years then you would get hit by the AF of the CSP or CSR whichever you choose.

Message 4 of 6
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If you like your rewards in the form of cash, your strategy works.  But if you like your rewards in the form of travel, I would transfer all your current points to the CSR and from there to United or Southwest miles.  Then you can move credit limits around and cancel the CSR.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. That is the good news I was hoping for.

And I plan on just moving all the Chase points I have to my Freedom account for the time being. Sometime next year I will probably get the CSP again because I know I won't be able to stay quiet too long! Sounds like I should be able to keep that Freedom account as a "Catch-All" for both credit limit and Chase Points while I am in between travel cards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.